• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seems like transmission is slipping when cold

LMTV89

Im not sure if this is a temp issue but recently since it's gotten into the 40's here when I first start the truck after a 5 min warmup the transmission is slipping and barely moves the truck, going from N to 7 or R there is very weak engagement, engine tone doesnt change much. Putting it mode and 1 doesnt change anything either so it seems like the converter or tcase is not transfering power. If I leave it idling for just another 5 minutes I'll get a very positive engagement and truck drives without issue. Anyone even seen that before? Fluid (15w40) is clear and full.

Video

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the filters? Perhaps the fluid is too thick when cold and not flowing through clogged, collapsed, or damaged filter elements?

I would get the 15w40 out of it and put in Dexron ATF. The military stopped using 15w40 in the FMTV's and the ATF shifts better.

Skyhawk13205

Im not sure if this is a temp issue but recently since it's gotten into the 40's here when I first start the truck after a 5 min warmup the transmission is slipping and barely moves the truck, going from N to 7 or R there is very weak engagement, engine tone doesnt change much. Putting it mode and 1 doesnt change anything either so it seems like the converter or tcase is not transfering power. If I leave it idling for just another 5 minutes I'll get a very positive engagement and truck drives without issue. Anyone even seen that before? Fluid (15w40) is clear and full.

Video
Can you put into mode and check that range and select 1st gear. My guess are low pressure to your clutches caused by fluid restrictions. Allison recommends preheat for 15w-40 at 5deg F. You could also have a brake that are releasing slowly because of ice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks