• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seized ether start solenoid

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one I linked to is the NSN/part number called out by the A1R/A1P2 parts manual as fitting trucks with serial numbers above 100,623

The older valve is part number QS5-5CTP or NSN 4810-01-442-8695

The older trucks used two intake "atomizers" while the C7 trucks use one. They are not the same NSN as the double atomizer setup.

It is worth noting that between serial numbers 100,001 and 100,623 it appears that the older system was used on the A1R/C7. Just to completely confuse the situation.

The TM also notes that QS5-5CTP as being used on serial numbers 18,549 and "prior" and there's no clear indication of what was used between 18,550, and 100,622 although I think that's probably just a parts manual glitch and all those trucks are likely using the QS5......
Sounds like I currently have that QS4 version then. The TMs I have don't have A1R info unfortunately. I would love to get a copy, currently all I have for A1R are the electrical diagrams, which have been extremely helpful.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have access to the A1R documents but it seems this QS4 version is the correct one for my truck. Dimensionally it's the same and the coil has the same resistance. I do have a single orifice to the intake.
It bolted up the exact same also, currently fully installed. The replacement solenoid cost about as much as the ether bottle. Seems the cost on those has tripped in the last few years. Why is ether so pricey?

Attachments

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
KAT part appears to be 92bucks.... but that may be the 12v one
You're not factoring in the cost to make something else fit. He got that one for like $87 plus $15 shipping and it bolts in because it's the correct NSN for his truck. Even if you got a different part for the exact same price (or indeed slightly less) it would take time and hardware (money) to make it fit and work. And then you would be entering the realm of putting on your engineering hat to ensure it works exactly the way the CAT computer expects it to work - IE: it delivers the exact quantity of ether over the duration commanded by the computer. Improperly applying ether to a diesel can damage it and that's one reason the A1 trucks removed this from the control of the operator.

What's your time worth? You must add that to the cost of the aftermarket solenoid.

coachgeo

You're not factoring in the cost to make something else fit. He got that one for like $87 plus $15 shipping and it bolts in because it's the correct NSN for his truck. Even if you got a different part for the exact same price (or indeed slightly less) it would take time and hardware (money) to make it fit and work. And then you would be entering the realm of putting on your engineering hat to ensure it works exactly the way the CAT computer expects it to work - IE: it delivers the exact quantity of ether over the duration commanded by the computer. Improperly applying ether to a diesel can damage it and that's one reason the A1 trucks removed this from the control of the operator.

What's your time worth? You must add that to the cost of the aftermarket solenoid.
Passing it on mostly for othrs to consider if they want to fix up theirs. He got lucky on a surplus one. Next fellow may not fall into that.

speaking of time..... can order it from local auto parts including autozone, oriely's etc.. also can get can's of ether thru local auto parts too .. aka.... not stuck trying to get parts that is odd ball military you have to search to hell or high water for. Like you say... time is money

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Passing it on mostly for othrs to consider if they want to fix up theirs. He got lucky on a surplus one. Next fellow may not fall into that.

speaking of time..... can order it from local auto parts including autozone, oriely's etc.. also can get can's of ether thru local auto parts too .. aka.... not stuck trying to get parts that is odd ball military you have to search to hell or high water for. Like you say... time is money
Valid. But there's going to be plenty of surplus and used on the market for the foreseeable future. The A1P2's still being produced by Oshkosh are using the same NSN that he purchased.

Also it's an entirely non-essential system so while it would be convenient to order something from Autozone (which will absolutely not be in stock so you'll wait for it anyway I can assure you so you might as well order it online for less), it's also no real problem if it's not working - you can always give it a manual shot of ether if it comes to that.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Testing mine and it works but leaks. The crappy seal between the bottle and the valve is dry rotted and broken. Trying to find just the seal with no luck. Probably just going to purchase a propane torch head and pull the seal out of it.

So as I’m testing it, tell me if this is correct. Apply voltage and it extends allowing fuel into the valve, then releasing voltage it allows fuel to exit the valve. So curious does the cat ECM cycle this multiple times or just that tiny squirt?

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With yours, since it's not a A1R, you have a switch correct? Not sure what it will allow/not. Mine is totally ECM controlled and I have no ether button on A1R.
The NAPA cylinder I got is KAT 33118, the gaskets are KAT 33119 (these are cork and not awesome). The cylinder is not opened at all until the solenoid is engaged so the seal shouldn't matter much at all.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any instructions on how and when to use the ether switch?
Like, press and hold while cranking?
Press and release while cranking?
Press and release before cranking?
Other?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks