• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Selectro Hubs?

Gadget

I have a couple of Selectro locking hubs I thought I'd put on my Deuce but I noticed something with them I don't like.

The guts of the locking mechanism are retained on the inside by a snap ring. It's nothing more than a curved round wire, and it doesn't even fit completely into the groove of the hub housing. The groove is smaller than the ring. It looks like a good vibration could shake these things apart...

Maybe there's some sort of wedge action happening between the snap ring, the groove in the hub, and the guts being retained by the ring? Is that how a wire type retainer normally works?

I probably never would have even noticed it, but one of the rings came loose in shipping. Finding the ring loose in the box made me wonder if I want to put these hubs on my truck!

Anyone ever use these hubs? Anyone ever heard of a manufacturing defect recall by Selectro? I'm very surprised by the cheap ring, I can't believe they would even consider building them this way. I mean, what's an internal C-ring cost gonna cost them?

Thanks,
Jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dunno about that but for sheer appearance alone, I'd rather run Selectros. My opinion

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd risk it; I have a few friends who have run them and they had no problems. My only issue with them is they aren't terribly resistant to water getting in (unlike the new Ouverson lockouts, etc.).

And Kenny makes a good point, if painted green, you barely notice selectros.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
clinto said:
... they aren't terribly resistant to water getting in...
I replaced the O-rings with thicker ones, put enough silicon lubricant in the grooves and went trough water 3 feet deep. Never had any problem.

Gerhard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks