• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Self Locking Door Handles for the Deuce

maynard83

After searching this site looking for a way do add a lock for the door handles on my deuce I was wondering if anyone ever bought or installed Self Locking door handles? Is there a place that sells an easy (very easy) to install kit?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Self locking? Like a hotel room?

copperhead10

I ordered a set from Moore Industrial Hardware. They sell large vehicle hardware. ordered # 2393-D surface mount handle with lock-key. shound have in hand in a few days

greg burns

Locking door handles

Maynard83:
One of the SS members, robr did an extensive upgrade to a bobbed deuce. (His description of the build should show up in a search) He said he had purchased several different door handles. He settled on a model from TrueValue hardware. When I purchased some this week they were about $10.50 per handle. If you find two that have their keys with the same number, their locks match. I have not installed mine yet. I recall that the shaft on the handle may need to be shortened a little. Other truck owners may have a different preference.

greg

Attachments

sic0048

I hope everyone has a hard top. Putting locks on a duece with soft top is just asking to have the roof sliced open. Same thing with a convertible - you should never lock a convertible unless you want your roof slit one day.

goodguyzy

my parts m35 has "self locking handles" i dont know if they should, but they do. I have to leave the window down to get in? i dont like them at all.

goldneagle

my parts m35 has "self locking handles" i dont know if they should, but they do. I have to leave the window down to get in? i dont like them at all.
Sounds like you are moving the handles on the inside to lock mode. The doors on the Deuce can be locked from the inside. Usually when you open the door the handle on the inside returns to normal open position. If you turn them past that point they lock the door.

goldneagle

I hope everyone has a hard top. Putting locks on a duece with soft top is just asking to have the roof sliced open. Same thing with a convertible - you should never lock a convertible unless you want your roof slit one day.
Locks are meant to keep honest people honest. On a hardtop Deuce I can remove the door lock from the outside with the proper screwdriver...but that is not the point! The door lock is meant to keep kids and showoffs from just opening the door and getting into the truck to play with the instruments etc.

goodguyzy

Sounds like you are moving the handles on the inside to lock mode. The doors on the Deuce can be locked from the inside. Usually when you open the door the handle on the inside returns to normal open position. If you turn them past that point they lock the door.
you would think so but my other 2 trucks work differently than this one, i haven't dug into to figure it out since its a parts truck.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An old F1 pickup I restored had the self locking door handles and they worked just like my deuce. On the F1, you locked one door from the inside and locked the other one from the outside since it had a key lock. I may just install a key lock set on my driver door.

asgtoolman

Maynard83:
One of the SS members, robr did an extensive upgrade to a bobbed deuce. (His description of the build should show up in a search) He said he had purchased several different door handles. He settled on a model from TrueValue hardware. When I purchased some this week they were about $10.50 per handle. If you find two that have their keys with the same number, their locks match. I have not installed mine yet. I recall that the shaft on the handle may need to be shortened a little. Other truck owners may have a different preference.

greg
I tried the same National handles [actually garage door handles] but could not find a keyed alike pair--had my hardware store try to order them that way with no success.
The shaft has to be shortened---screw holes in door have to be redrilled [spacing a little off]---but the major item I did not like was they could not be "handed" differently; therefore you had to pull the drivers door handle toward the front to open it and the passenger door handle to the rear---I didn't like this set-up, so I got my locksmith to get me some better handles [about $25 ea] that were keyed alike AND could be set-up so pulling handle to rear on both doors opens them just like original. I will post brand when I get back to garage to check them tomorrow.
I love the feeling of security even though I have a canvas top.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I got my locksmith to get me some better handles [about $25 ea] that were keyed alike AND could be set-up so pulling handle to rear on both doors opens them just like original. I will post brand when I get back to garage to check them tomorrow.

Did they mount in the original mounting holes or did you also have to redrill for them?

Darwin T

my dad had a rag top vet and did not lock it as you said roof slit. however climbing up on a deuce and slitting the roof and trying to climb down inside would be funny to watch.

Last edited:

stumps

I'm not too familiar with these, what do they look like and do they fit? Or am I missing code word for " large dog in cab " lol
The way the standard deuce lock is built, if you move the inside lever in one direction, it will open the door, but if you move it in the opposite direction, it will stay in that position, locking the outside door handles. The purpose of this "combat lock" is to keep those that don't wish you well from getting to you when you are inside of the truck.

Some deuce owners will lock the passenger side door, and then unlock the driver's side windshield. Then then close the driver's door, and reach in through the windshield, and lock the driver's door. Then the windshield is pushed shut, and the deuce is "combat locked". Not a very convenient, or secure way of locking the truck, but it will suffice to keep the "tourists" out of the truck.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks