• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Semi-catastrophic Rockwell Failure ? Anyone ever seen this?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Jack up truck, pull out old axle(pallet jack works great), install new axle, bleed brakes, test drive!

Sounds pretty easy to me.

rustystud

Removing Rockwell axle.jpgPinion bearings gone. Seen this many times before. Sorry I came to the party late. You can easily remove the third member (pumpkin) with a come-along and a snatch-block (pulley) . Put the snatch-block above the pumpkin using a small chain attached to the bed. Then thread the come-along through the block and attach it to the pumpkin.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not forget to thoroughly wash out the axle housing where the differential sits and the axle tubes. There may be a lot of metal shavings etc. in there that will contaminate the replacement unit leading to another failure.
Regards Marti

Jeepsinker

Agreed. Buy a case of brake parts cleaner and go to town. A bundle of red shop rags and a piece of pipe or old broom handle work well for cleaning out the tubes too. I advise against using degreaser and water for this. Some of the alkali will stay behind and cause corrosion later on if you do.

rivercreek

Thanks for all for the input. Rustystud, I like your lifting rig. Monkeyboy, no it wasn't my truck in Marshall - although I'm not far from there. As M543A2 and Jeepsinker both said I'm sure to have a bunch of crap down inside the case and tubes that would need to be cleaned out. I can't help but to think it would be easier to swap out the whole rear end than to break it down under the truck and try to properly clean everything in place. Zout, I don't understand what you were trying to say.. ?? Were you requesting more information or less information?? Maybe i'm the one with the pea brain. Anyway, didn't mean to bug anyone.

zout

I was trying to help - but the daily thinking of COMMON CORE where everything no matter what is done is right is not an excuse to not do things right.

It was meant to be constructive so folks who learned ENGLISH and learned spelling years ago can read what is written ( or typed) to help our fellow SS members.

I see you had 141 posts - I have a list of credentials and work history that would kill a lesser man - Look up my former posts here and evaluate my experience - I could have helped and would be more than proud to help if I could have not gotten a headache from reading a garbled paragraph trying to capture an explanation. 20 Paragraphs to describe would have been much better than one jumbled bunch o chit. But it seems some folks waddled though it all.

:rules: explain how to type out what you want to say. I just hope you can fix and learn from posted help from other members which makes me want to post even less from negligent input from common core thinking (meaning what ever you think you typed must be right and accepted by all cause you typed it and we are forced to accept it).

Glad it is working out.

rivercreek

I was trying to help - but the daily thinking of COMMON CORE where everything no matter what is done is right is not an excuse to not do things right.

It was meant to be constructive so folks who learned ENGLISH and learned spelling years ago can read what is written ( or typed) to help our fellow SS members.

I see you had 141 posts - I have a list of credentials and work history that would kill a lesser man - Look up my former posts here and evaluate my experience - I could have helped and would be more than proud to help if I could have not gotten a headache from reading a garbled paragraph trying to capture an explanation. 20 Paragraphs to describe would have been much better than one jumbled bunch o chit. But it seems some folks waddled though it all.

:rules: explain how to type out what you want to say. I just hope you can fix and learn from posted help from other members which makes me want to post even less from negligent input from common core thinking (meaning what ever you think you typed must be right and accepted by all cause you typed it and we are forced to accept it).

Glad it is working out.
Zout, please disregard any future "negligent input" from this common core thinker. I'm certainly not in your realm with a lowly 51 posts under my belt. I am not certain where you got the number 141 from, but that is neither here nor there I suppose. Perhaps you've gotten me confused with someone else? I'll do my very very best to please you, but I only learned ENGLISH and SPELLING 39 years ago myself (Waaaaay pre - "common core", just for the record). Please bear with me here, I am still in the process of learning to type out what I want to say... I guess what I am trying to say is that frankly I would rather you just skip my post altogether than to take the time to attack my writing style and apparently my education while offering absolutally zero constructive or helpful input whatsoever. Although I haven't posted a lot on this site, i've spent PLENTY of time reading through other members' poor grammar and spelling, etc. to find an answer i'm looking for, and I've been glad to do it. If you had spent as much time offering me advice related to my original problem as you did talking about how you are the Great and Mighty OZ and how everyone else is a common core idiot who can't type English correctly and hasn't learned spelling we'd all be happy right now, it seems to me. I don't give a **** how experienced you are, if you ain't got nothin decent or constructive or even PERTINENT to say, just shut the **** up and move along. It's easy. Point and Click. How did I do typing out exactly what I wanted to say this time? Was I clear, concise and to the point this time? ALL HAIL ZOUT !!

rustystud

Rivercreek, don't let one person ruin your experience with Steel Soldiers. Most on this site have only good intentions and want to offer advice they have learned. Don't let one person (who probably just had a very bad day) divert you attention from the problem at hand.
I personally would just remove the pumpkin in the vehicle and thoroughly clean out the housing as others "who have only good intentions towards you " have said. Removing the whole differential housing can be a difficult chore and you will probably have to replace some bushings and spring U-bolts before your done. The cost can add up quickly.

jamawieb

After reading Rustystud's post today, he is more than likely correct. Since your truck is used as a plow truck, I'm sure it has some rust under it and that will definitely make it more difficult to remove everything. Good luck with it and please let us know how you did the repair, to help others in the future.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout, please disregard any future "negligent input" from this common core thinker. I'm certainly not in your realm with a lowly 51 posts under my belt. I am not certain where you got the number 141 from, but that is neither here nor there I suppose. Perhaps you've gotten me confused with someone else? I'll do my very very best to please you, but I only learned ENGLISH and SPELLING 39 years ago myself (Waaaaay pre - "common core", just for the record). Please bear with me here, I am still in the process of learning to type out what I want to say... I guess what I am trying to say is that frankly I would rather you just skip my post altogether than to take the time to attack my writing style and apparently my education while offering absolutally zero constructive or helpful input whatsoever. Although I haven't posted a lot on this site, i've spent PLENTY of time reading through other members' poor grammar and spelling, etc. to find an answer i'm looking for, and I've been glad to do it. If you had spent as much time offering me advice related to my original problem as you did talking about how you are the Great and Mighty OZ and how everyone else is a common core idiot who can't type English correctly and hasn't learned spelling we'd all be happy right now, it seems to me. I don't give a **** how experienced you are, if you ain't got nothin decent or constructive or even PERTINENT to say, just shut the **** up and move along. It's easy. Point and Click. How did I do typing out exactly what I wanted to say this time? Was I clear, concise and to the point this time? ALL HAIL ZOUT !!
You should go back and read post # 18 by doghead
Since this is a family site it is not the place for posts like this , you may fit in better over at pirate4x4.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more comment off topic gets the thread closed.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For cleaning out the housing, using one of the sand blasters that have a suction tube you stick in a bag works well. Get 5 gallons of kerosene and put the suction tube in the container. Washing from the outside in is easiest but you can do it however you like. The air and kerosene does a good job of blowing the debris off and washing it away. Do each tube and the center section a couple of times and you should be good.

You can also wash kerosene off pretty well with hot water if you want. I hooked the water hose from the water heater to the suction tube on the sandblaster an you have a good hot pressure wash. Unless you have a high mineral content in your water, don't worry about the water leaving contaminants. I always pressure washed engine blocks that came back from machining that I was rebuilding to get the grit off and never had any problems from the washing operation.

Good luck with your project.

welldigger

Yall are seriously over thinking how to clean the axle housing. Just take a piece of pvc pipe and push some paper towels through each end of the axle tube. Then wipe out what remains in the center section. If you miss a fine metal shaving or 2 who cares.