• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Semi-manual glowing

Sili

Hey folks,
as im gonna get my 1008 this friday im already planning first mods beside the cosmetic stuff i want to do.

What i heard most time talking to guys knowing these trucks was "convert it to manual glowing before it takes a shit and melts a plug in the head".

I actually like the normal procedure of glowing by key and i guess the gp card actually knows how to to glow better than me.

So im asking myself if there is a way to combine best of both worlds.

Would it therefore be possible to add a switch into the signal line to the solenoid/relay?

Switch on, turn key, wait, start engine, switch off and disconnect the relay from the card and possible "random false glows" or does this not work at all?

Just a little brainstorming now, happy for other and better ideas.

thanks in advance!

cucvrus

Define melts a plug in the head. Are you talking a burnt swelled glow plug? No matter what you do the possibility of swelling a glow plug can and will happen from time to time. It is the nature of the beast. I have ran stock as OEM as possible systems for over 25 years. I had glow plugs swell. I had glow plugs ingested into the engine while driving down the road. It happens. Nothing is infallible. No matter what you do you are heating an element / resistor that will eventually wear out and swell. And keep the vulgarity out of your posts. Please. We can all get your point without the use of trash talk. Good Luck. Hopefully you are NOT buying a CUCV that has been hacked up. Trust me they will run fine stock. Hundreds of thousands of miles of living proof. Been there done that. Be Safe. The hacking begins with the first wire you cut. Maintain what is there. It lasted over 30 years. NOT BAD.

Sili

Define melts a plug in the head. Are you talking a burnt swelled glow plug? No matter what you do the possibility of swelling a glow plug can and will happen from time to time. It is the nature of the beast. I have ran stock as OEM as possible systems for over 25 years. I had glow plugs swell. I had glow plugs ingested into the engine while driving down the road. It happens. Nothing is infallible. No matter what you do you are heating an element / resistor that will eventually wear out and swell. And keep the vulgarity out of your posts. Please. We can all get your point without the use of trash talk. Good Luck. Hopefully you are NOT buying a CUCV that has been hacked up. Trust me they will run fine stock. Hundreds of thousands of miles of living proof. Been there done that. Be Safe. The hacking begins with the first wire you cut. Maintain what is there. It lasted over 30 years. NOT BAD.
Thanks for your answer!

Actually i just heard some guys saying that sometimes the card turns on the plugs while the engine runs and there is no need to glow, they overheat and swell (yes swelling was the word i was looking for)
Im a friend of the original thing and im happy that it is not hacked yet. So i will leave everything as is and run it stock as long as it works fine.

But would you please tell me what did you mean by vulgarity/trash talk? Did i use foul language somewhere? As im from germany it might be, that i used some words/grammar that is rude in your eyes and i dont even know.
Just want to know, wont do it again then :)

Have a good day!

Reactions: cwc

cucvrus

Takes a (S--T) is a foul word. I am not offended but it will bring heat on you. I am the helper not the villain. I think the CUCV is a great vehicle. Many I purchased and sold were all stock and many I bought cheap were hacked up and in need of a lot of major repairs. Mostly hacked and cut by someone following some one else's bad advise. Hope that helps. Be Safe. Enjoy your CUCV.

Reactions: cwc

Sili

Takes a (S--T) is a foul word. I am not offended but it will bring heat on you. I am the helper not the villain. I think the CUCV is a great vehicle. Many I purchased and sold were all stock and many I bought cheap were hacked up and in need of a lot of major repairs. Mostly hacked and cut by someone following some one else's bad advise. Hope that helps. Be Safe. Enjoy your CUCV.
Ok you are right. Thats just such a common wird, i didnt really recognize it. Wont happen again.

I hope the stuff is stock at all places i havent seen yet - few small things to eliminate electrically but nothing big (a lousy wired horn with seperate switch but that should be most of it).
Im gonna leave everything as stock as it is :)

Thanks!

MarcusOReallyus

So im asking myself if there is a way to combine best of both worlds.

Would it therefore be possible to add a switch into the signal line to the solenoid/relay?
Yep. That's it exactly. Light blue wire going to the controller card. Splice into it and run that to a MOMENTARY switch, then run the other side to ground.

Check the Sticky (Helpful Threads) and you'll find a write up on it, here.

It's a good backup to a failed controller card. I have never heard of the controller card turning on the GPs and not turning off. Its normal failure mode is that it just won't turn them on. So, I'm.... oh, let's say, skeptical of claims of it melting GPs. Sounds more like operator error to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks