• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Semi Permanent Generator Instillation Question

Metternacht

My Company Has a Large Generator on trailer on site to power the building and office systems during power outages. Is it worth the hassle to place the trailer on Jack Stands to take the weight off the tires. If we go this route should the Stands be on the frame or under the axles? It is a tandem Axle trailer with Fuel cell and the Generator is a MQ Power - 60KVA Generator.

I know its not a mil Genny but I figured this was the best place to inquire.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

rlwm211

I have seen generator trailers that have a jack on the tongue and one on each corner at the rear. The purpose is to level the trailer and not to lift it off its wheels, even though that can be done easily. Victory Indistrial Products out of Ohio manufactures these in several sizes. Single, Tandem and Tri-Axle Mobile Application Trailers and ISO Containers for stand-by and peak-shaving power generators :: Victory Industrial Products, LLC if you are interested. I happen to have one of their small trailers with an S-250 mounted on it.

The only advantage of putting your generator on jacks is to ensure it is level even if you have a flat. If you did have a tire let go, it could put the machine in such a position that it would be unsafe to use it.

I would figure out how high the rear should be and also to level the trailer, then lower the front, set jack stands to accomplish what you want and then jack the front up and it will transfer the weight from the wheels to the jack stands with out having to use a jack on each corner.

RL

Metternacht

What are you trying to accomplish?
Thanks for the responses.

We are trying to preserve the tires as much as possible and to level the whole thing up better. The generator sits slightly out of level since the parking spot it is in is not level. It tilts to the left as you look at it. nothing Bad but noticeable.

I could probably do what RL mentioned with 2 jack stands but may add a third as i don't know how good the tongue jack is.

Attachments

If you want to preserve the tires you really need to cover them. Id cover them in some kind of tire rubber preservative gel and then cover them with a heavy vinyl cover to protect them from the sun.

caliber1

Or better yet, once positioned on stands, remove the wheels and store inside somewhere. Not sure if that is an option or not. I have a clients trailer outside that is soon to be mine, after 4 years I wish I had done that. Now it needs tires.:roll:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do level it out you can then go to a RV center and pick up the tire covers.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You can jack it up....place concrete "cap blocks" (not the blocks with the cells in them) at all four corners and set it down on them. This will give you a firm base.

Adjustable jack stands would work also but might cost more.

PeterD

Now, me, I'd go to an RV supply house, and get some RV leveling legs, which can be rather beefy (and designed to level some large RVs) and mount them to the trailer.

135gmc

You might also look at a removable tongue as well as removing the tires. No tires plus no tongue makes it about as theftproof as possible.

Isaac-1

Since the OP is in CA which is known for restrictive legislation, I just want to mention that in some areas (parts of Florida for example) trailer mounted generators are used to get around permanent installation codes that can limit placement location (not within X feet of a property line) , fuel tank size, engineer sign off on pad, etc.

Ike

Metternacht

Since the OP is in CA which is known for restrictive legislation, I just want to mention that in some areas (parts of Florida for example) trailer mounted generators are used to get around permanent installation codes that can limit placement location (not within X feet of a property line) , fuel tank size, engineer sign off on pad, etc.

Ike

Thanks for all the replies guys, Ike is correct. If we remove the generator from the trailer we fall into a permanent installation situation and the city gets picky. The same reason for not removing the wheels. I am looking at covers and protective Gel for those, the adjustable 6 ton jack stands look to be the best option for leveling and stabilizing the whole thing. I have already removed the latch portion of the 2" ball tongue and may remove the ball mount and replace with a lunnet and lunnet lock or leave it off entirely. It nice to be able to move it if absolutely necessary to prove it is not permanent.

We may also be moving location in a year if our current plans pan out so another reason to keep it mobile.

Thanks again for all the great ideas.

-Mike.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks