• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Semi Trailer Dolly

So I am thinking about getting a Military box trailer to store parts and gear in and advertise my Association(Freedomvehicles.org). But I don't have an m931. I do have an M923a2 and I would be fine using a dolly to pull it around. I have never done anything like this. I don't have a dolly and don't want to spend a lot of money on one. What you you all recommend to do I am fine making one, but would prefer to put it on an M200a1 trailer. That way I do have a heavier duty trailer as a dolly. Any one have one nearby(Utah) for sale for cheap? I don't even care if it has some tires. I can bring tires with rims and slap them on. My goal is to go cheap and effective. Also am I going to need any extra or special gear to hook it up to have proper brakes and lights?
Any help would be much appreciated as I have never done and "trucking" type stuff.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there have been several threads on here about making a dolly with a m200 or m105 trailer by bolting a 5th wheel on. M105 can easily be made a dually by adding thimbles and proper outer nuts.

The difficult part is plumbing the brakes as m105/m200 are air over hydraulic and then adding the proper connections to the rear of the dolly for air to the trailer. Ditto for the electrical but that would be easier by just adding a plug/socket to the rear.

Might consider switching the trailer to led to lessen the amp load.

Why do I have to hook up electrical and air to the dolly? The box trailer would have air and power for brakes and lights already. I don't see why I would have to add stopping power to the dolly, when there is already brake power on my truck, and on the trailer. The dolly is just the connection between the towing capabilities. shouldn't it just be a towing "accessory?" I feel it would just be a hindrance to have to go through the dolly and then to the box trailer.

The dolly would not need lights when hooked up to the trailer or mud flaps if pulled with out the trailer it needs both .working brakes on the dolly are a must have .

Because of the size and weight of your truck and trailer it may not be commercial but weight wise its heavy enough to be .It's about safety .

Speedwoble

Why is that so? Why do I need to have working brakes on the dolly? Explain please so I can understand.
The weight of the trailer is going to be on the dolly and the trailer tires. Your truck will not receive any weight transfer to make its brakes more effective. The trailer weight will transfer off the rear tires under braking. You are asking for a skid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks