• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Separating water from oil without a heat source?

Lindsaym151

Im trying to figure out a way to seperate water from oil with No heat sourse!
I have a situation that my cleaning source has no power, (no economical)distance from power.
Any help would be appreciated!

eagle4g63

Time..............it's free

Let gravity do it's job, the water WILL settle to the bottom on it's own.....If you can let the sun hit the container it will do it faster as it will heat it up for you.

cpf240

I would think a black drum out in the sun would work pretty well. Could you run it through a water / fuel separator when transferring from one container to the next?

DeucesWild11

I heard that works well too. I just recently got some WMO and one bucket had some antifreeze mixed in with it. About a cup or two went into my bucket filters.. I have set up in micron from 400-200-150-100-75 and those seemed to catch all the water that went into it..

cpf240

Oh, one other thing just occurred to me... I think I heard Chief over at Old Grouch surplus say that you could use one of those military surplus immersion oil-fired heaters too. The ones that sit in a 55 gallon drum. No need for power, and is supposed to run on a number of different fuels.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've found the easiest for me is to have a tank (we use one that's about 250 gal) setting on it's side (on a frame up off the ground) w/ a slight incline. The low end has a drain (I use a ball valve) at it's lowest point. About 6" up from that I have another drain & valve.
The tank is painted black and sits on an east-west line so that the "side" is in the sun all day.

After the oil w/ water has sat, for as long as I can leave it before need to use it, I drain from the lower valve till I start getting some oil like stuff. I then draw from the higher valve and run it through the filter set-up.
This gives me a good 6" layer of "untouched" between the top of the water layer and the area that I pull from.

My favorite method is to put the water contaminated oil into 3-Litre soda bottles and prop them upside-down in the sun for a couple days. When the water is all settled at the bottom, I crack the cap loose, and carefully loosten the cap enough to let the water run out as I gently squeeze the bottle. When the water is gone and I start to get oil, stop squeezing and grab the cap with a rag and tighten it. Then I turn it over, open the bottle and pour the oil into a blending can with a little gas, and swish to blend. Then with 2 layers of cotton cloth forming a bag and zip tied to the bottom of a funnel, I'll strain the mix into my tank. Works like a charm and no sludge in my tank. I also add ATF to the tank to keep the IP lubed and make her run at her peak.
:driver:

Jimma

I let mine sit and separate then use the duda diesel filters and gravity feed.

Last edited by a moderator:

dikwks

I've found the easiest for me is to have a tank (we use one that's about 250 gal) setting on it's side (on a frame up off the ground) w/ a slight incline. The low end has a drain (I use a ball valve) at it's lowest point. About 6" up from that I have another drain & valve.
The tank is painted black and sits on an east-west line so that the "side" is in the sun all day.

After the oil w/ water has sat, for as long as I can leave it before need to use it, I drain from the lower valve till I start getting some oil like stuff. I then draw from the higher valve and run it through the filter set-up.
This gives me a good 6" layer of "untouched" between the top of the water layer and the area that I pull from.
Perzactly! Got the same setup. Best part is it's all free, tanks and sunshine. Only cost me pickup expenses and a leftover can of black paint.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on the volume of oil you have recirculate some gas in it. Thats the fastest way to separate the water. Drops right to the bottom of the tank, then drain.[thumbzup]

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can wait with the contaminated oil, let it set out in freezing weather to freeze the water in the bottom. This also traps any contaminants in the ice. You can then pour off the oil with no fear of any water coming out with it.
Regards Marti

42willys

alright to my understanding their is condensed water, which will sink to the bottom and their is evaporated or dissolved water mixed in the oil. Will the dissolved water separate on its own and sink to the bottom?

also can you lit a fire under the barrel? its heat but its not electric. and maybe after the the condensed water is out that way you only boil off the dissolved.

or a third option is i have no idea what im saying?

goldneagle

Didn't you hear, water and oil don't mix. If they sit without agitation they will separate on their own. Don't make it any more complicated then necessary. They guys gave you some very good advise.

atbhaack

seperating water from oil with out a heat sourse?

What u guys do with that water? I drain some oil off and take it to city oil disposal.

eagle4g63

How did all that wvo settle for you?
Been working great, settled nicely..........used my little dc pump and a small tube to suck out the nice clean top oil from the containers into my large primary tote......mixed in nicely with the other oils, and fuels.........then filtered into the second tote........truck has been running great on it.

JH1

If you want to get a little crazy, make/convert a centrifuge out of an old washing machine. It's the same idea as gravity, but faster and way more dangerous. :) Seriously, the freezing idea sounds like the best route, or just let it separate naturally over time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks