• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serial Number Tag on Drivers Door

engineman2

Sooo, my M1008 has the serial number tag on the drivers door. It's partially peeling off, about 1/3 of it is no longer stuck to the truck. If I ever sort out my steering issue, I was planning on re-painting the truck this summer. I would like to know if anyone has a good way to remove it without damaging it since I would like to paint under it and stick it back on. Also, and this scares me the most, some inquisitive idiot might pick on the part that isn't stuck in a parking lot or somewhere and bend it which would irritate me greatly.:evil: Any ideas would be good, I've considered chemical means but am unsure of what to use. Aircraft stripper maybe?

baddy3

Sooo, my M1008 has the serial number tag on the drivers door. It's partially peeling off, about 1/3 of it is no longer stuck to the truck. If I ever sort out my steering issue, I was planning on re-painting the truck this summer. I would like to know if anyone has a good way to remove it without damaging it since I would like to paint under it and stick it back on. Also, and this scares me the most, some inquisitive idiot might pick on the part that isn't stuck in a parking lot or somewhere and bend it which would irritate me greatly.:evil: Any ideas would be good, I've considered chemical means but am unsure of what to use. Aircraft stripper maybe?
take a picture of the serial number and measure its dimensions, than find a sign shop that will make you a stencil/vinyl lettering for the number....

you can use a peace of clear/transparent vinyl and apply it over the serial number just to keep it in place until you decide to paint the truck and replace the number....

engineman2

I may not quite get what you're saying or we may not be talking about the same thing. The tag I'm talking about is a little steel plate about 2"x3" and has the trucks registration, and VIN numbers along with two bar codes and the model and NSN numbers I believe. It's unique to the truck which is why I'd like to preserve it. If we are taking about the same thing, maybe you could elaborate a little more, I'm kinda slow on the uptake sometimes. Thanks for the response.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a pic.

engineman2

Pictures!!

I left a light on in the shop and when I went to turn it off out I snapped some pics of the tag I was talking about. In the closeup you can see the shadow on the left of the tag where it has peeled up and is blocking the light from my flashlight. Hopefully someone knows what it is, I was assuming all cucv's had these....but I ought-ta know about assumptions. :oops:

Attachments

When i was at the body shop alot of the new parts like armor and the steel doors for hummers had that kind of sticker thats a rare thing to see still i would try to preserve it but off the truck just out of curiosty is your cucv low mileage :]:beer:

You can google the NSN#2320011236827 Cage#19207 and u can find how much your m1008 was and other info Good luck actually that truck was procured by the Us army by that nsn number The us army tank comand in warren mi thats what i came up with i could be wrong Showed 3 diffrent prices 1 was $11,XXX and the other 2 Were $15,XXX

Last edited:

engineman2

I'm the fourth owner, I bought it at 51xxx miles. Allegedly it was auctioned with 2xxxx, but I don't know. It's a USMC truck and I know it came from California. It shows too, little rust. The only rust is literally hundreds of tiny spots in the paint, like it was in a sandstorm. Glass is only minimally scratched, so who knows. That's part of why I would like to paint it. Of course, if it went somewhere neat like the middle east I may keep the spots as a bit of history.:beer:

Since the tag is steel I may make a stencil and paint a new one on another piece of steel and not re-install the original. But in the meantime I'd like to remove that tag to keep some inquisitive idiot from picking it and bending it in a parking lot or something. That would boil my blood.:evil: So, any ideas on how to remove it with minimal damage to the paint? I've already tried careful prying and that thing is on there.

baddy3

It' s much easier now that we have a pic...
If you wantb to remove it, you'll need some thin fishing line or dental floss.Get your fishing line or floss and slide it behind the plate and use a saw-like motion to remove it. This will cut the glue between the paint and the back of the plate releasing it from the vehicle. Use some tar remover and a scraper to remove glue residue.....

to protect it form picking and bending, as said before, cut a clear vinyl rectangle, make it 1/4 inch larger than the plate on each side, apply it over the plate.This should prevent someone from picking it.

baddy3

That's a great idea baddy3! I think that'll work quite well. Thanks.
It works-guaranteed. I removed quite a few car badges that way. Nail polish remover (non-acetone based) is also great for removing the glue as it does not damage the paint.....but depends on what type of glue the military used, you might need to scrape it.

engineman2

Baddy3, I tried the dental floss, both waxed and unwaxed. Neither worked. I think braided fishing line might be the way to go. I had surgery recently and need easy things to do while I recover. lol.

baddy3

A piece of thin stainless steel wire with a couple of knots should cut through the glue. Use some soap on the wire to reduce friction... I suppose the military did not use automotive-grade adhesive on the tag.....

engineman2

Yeah, certainly not. The dental floss didn't even make a dent in whatever is holding that thing on. Too bad some of the adhesive decided not to work and leave me hanging, or else I wouldn't be trying to do this. The wire may work as well, I might try the braid first because that is some very tough stuff. Thanks for the tips, I'll file an aar when I get it off, if I do.

steelandcanvas

For the life of me I can't understand why you want to go to so much trouble to save an inventory sticker, but I'll make a suggestion anyway. Try soaking the area with WD-40, that should loosen up the adhesive enough for you to get it off in one piece. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks