• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Series 3 109 FFR

rmgill

Clinto, there were sand channels used as standard kit on a lot of armoured recce vehicles. they were supposed to be strong enough to allow you to get your tires across a ditch but sometimes didn't survive or were beaten up. So often times PSP cut to length was used instead. It couldn't support the vehicle for crossing a ditch, but did work well for getting out of mud or other soft ground and had the advantage of being a reasonably easy thing to get from the supply system if you needed a few extra sheets to replace some you left in a hurry or damaged.

ian001

Here it is all stripped down & loaded with kit, there are still a few little finishing touches jobs to do but it's almost there, it has come a long way since february & I'm very pleased with it, it does get a lot of attention from the public.

Attachments

pa.rich

Great rig! Alot of talent went into that. The welding/fabrication looks excellent. Btw , pardon me but did they replace the kneecap with an artificial one? Whats the scoop on that? 28 years and no kneecap? Inquiring minds want to know. We americans can be inquisitive at times. :lol:

Boatcarpenter

Thanks pa.rich for asking that question, I've been curious. Also wondered if the "I'm not a complete idiot" and the "my kneecap was removed in 1980 " statements have anything to do with the same story. :cookoo:

ian001

Thanks for the comments, it's nice when others appreciate your efforts.

I'm not a complete idiot in the fact that a piece is missing, it's just a bit of a fun statement, my kneecap was removed after I damaged it when I fell while rock climbing in Wales with the british army, I also crushed 2 discs in my spine too, so I'm an idiot but not a complete one :lol:

Cheers
Ian

ian001

Got another little job done, a previous owner had taken out the insulated terminal bracket & I've had a right old game trying to find a replacement but luckily a friend was breaking an FFR 109 so I managed to get the one from his, when it arrived it only had one pair of terminals but another friend had given me a pair of new terminals a while ago so I added these to the bracket, they will suply the radio & charger.

I forgot to mention in the previous post that I have been without a kneecap for 28 years, no replacement was ever fitted. :wink:

Attachments

ian001

The weather has been up & down lately but I've managed a few little jobs, the cab has been repainted & I've acquired & fitted some rear bench seats although they weren't the correct seats I did manage to adapt them by cutting off the old mounting brackets & welding new bits on.

I've also added the stencil markings for the tyre pressures & batterty cover.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool. Like I've said to restorers before at shows, the restoration is great, but its the ACCESSORIES that make the final product. I can't tell you the number of Willys MBs and M37s I have seen at a show that are well restored, and have no accessories or pieces of kit, and they bore me, to be honest. Your resto looks great with all the gear and the gun mount, the canvas items, etc. FANTASTIC JOB!

ian001

Thank you, I have to agree with you, it's all the kit & accessories that bring the vehicle to life, the canvas items between the seats are 6 full sets of 1958 pattern webbing that were still in use in the 1980s, these go on the racks for the shows, I was asked to attend a local veterans day on Sunday just gone & I was surprised at the attention the vehicle got, even from service personel, I'm attending another veterans day on saturday, I just hope the weather will be nice or I'll just have to take my lightweight, I had this lightweight Land Rover for just over 3 years & she's my baby.

Attachments

ian001

Due to my failing health I'm having to sell my Land Rovers, Katy the lightweight has sold already but the 109 is for sale complete with all the kit including the film prop GPMG plus a trailer for £4,000

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sorry to hear of your health problems. I know what it's like! If I were still living in Watford (Herts), I'd buy your Rover! As it is, shipping would really kill me! Good luck finding a buyer. I'm sure there is someone in your area who will give it a loving home.

ian001

Cheers lifer, I'm not giving up the hobby, I'm going to find something more comfortable to drive or at least easy for my wife to drive, I'm needing my wheelchair more & more & these old leaf sprung Land Rovers are a bit hard going on the spine.

I've been offered a free mobility scooter for the show grounds & my mates will put my tent up & get my kit out of the trailer so it's just a case of getting to the shows in relative comfort.

Cheers
Ian

derekchace

Ian first off im sorry to hear about your health, I must to say I love what you did to your FFR! Im in the states and I am currently trying to make my Series III light weight into something like what you did to you FFR. I just had a couple of questions how did you mount the headlight blinds? how hard what it to make the racks mounted on the side for the jerry cans and sand track? Im looking at getting someone to try and make some up for me. My wife is from the UK and she is currently trying to sell her flat in London. If it sells she was going to try to buy your FFR off you and send it back to the states so I can sell my rover to a buddy that wants. But the current housing market is not going in my favor. There are just no RECE or Pinky's here in that states! would love to change that. Building one is more expensive then shipping one over buy alot. Well great job and any help would be greatly appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks