• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serious Crankshaft Issue, what to do?

K5german

So I bought a 84' M1009 and have done a ton of maintenance to it, just got a new starter and I'm off. Well at about 65mph my harmonic balancer fell off!!! After having a diesel mechanic look at it I am being told to get a new engine because the keyway on the crankshaft is all chewed up because the whole thing was on there loose and with the vibration it destroyed it. Here's my question: what to do? Is there anyone in the Atlanta area that knows of a RELIABLE, SKILLED diesel mechanic who can give me an assessment on how much it would cost to repair. I do not have the money to swap engines and do not want to give it up.
appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
P.S. I do have a repair manual, but neither the time nor the place nor the skill to do this type of engine work

Thanks

jwaller

if you were totally set on reusing the engine and the crank is indeed chewed up, your only choice is to weld it on. then you would only be able to do that once. hope like heck you never need to take it off.

my dad takes a lot of his stuff to georgia diesel on hwy5 in douglasville.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If the snout on the crank is as messed up as you described, either a new crank or an engine swap is in order. . .

Had this happen to a big block chevy once, but caught it before the balancer departed from the motor, replaced it with a new balancer, and key, worked fine.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you weld one on, make sure it's a new balancer! :D

Opps, and replace the front crank seal while your there also!

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you do go the weld on route, make sure whomever does it only does a small amount each time, allowing to cool in between, if they do it all at once, you'll melt the front crank oil seal.

Last edited:

gaunt1969

had This happen to a 671 D and rprd it with a wire-feed welder and die grinder to build the key way back up enough to hold the key. Not easy and not quick and a real pain in the a$$ with it in the truck.

southdave

I got the diesel page manual, they speak of proceedure to dowel it to the camshaft as a more prefer why to fix this common problem in 6.2 6.5
now I am paranoid, just those fuild powered thing just so dang burn expensive

Last edited:

K5german

Thanks for all the helpful info. Not sure what to do. The places I talked to all said they can't do the welding and the labor alone on taking out the engine and replacing the crankshaft is 2.5K and up. I know I am getting ripped off but swaping the engine is even more. Is there anyone in the Atlanta area that is willing to take on the welding? I would just hate to put this one up for sale for parts and end my short but fun-filled adventure in MVs. totally sucks

ODdave

how chewed up is the crank? any pics? if it is just the key slot that is bad i bet i have a much cheeper and more reliable/servicable fix for it. realy need pics though

Tanner

My recommendation is that you locate another good running motor & swap it - you MAY have done internal damage to the engine depending on how long the imbalance situation was allowed to occur... 6.X crankshafts don't like imbalance & there may internal main bearing damage or weakening of the crankshaft as a result.

Know the possibilities & proceed with caution.

My 2cents

'Tanner'

gaunt1969

welder and die grinder. Build it back up and shape it back down. If u gona do it in the truck u will likely have to pull the radiator to get enough room.

Billy Bobbed

Im a 25+years crankshaft grinder of Hapco Crankshaft. I repair the noses of crankshafts all the time.I can repair the nose and clean and polish the crank for about $125.00.Just take the crank out and UPS it to me.

K5german

did the balancer spin on the cranck enuff to wear it the whole way around or is the cuncked out part that i see the only prob ?
that is the 'only' problem. I talked to a friend with a lift and we're gonna take out the engine and see what we can do before we take the whole crank out.