• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serp Belt squeek

fpchief

On my 2001 M1097a2, 6.5....after recovery of it non-running I replaced or put on a new alt, ps pump, both top idler pulleys, water pump, and new belt.

Now I have a belt squeak that I can not find. The intermittent squeak does change with RPM. I have the belt off now and there is no squeal with belt off so 100% sure it is the belt.

What I think is on the top idlers, it is flat on flat and for some reason it is squeaking. Driving me nuts and want to find the problem.

The grooved idler and belt tensioner are original and feel tight.

The only pulley that doesn't really spin freely is one of the top smooth idlers (if they are even idlers)

fpchief

Here is a vid...belt off no squeak of course. Only pulley that does not turn very freely is the passenger side top idler pulley (or whatever those top pulleys are called)....

I do think there is a good chance it is coming from the belt tensioner.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do not use belt dressing on EDPM belts
The constant velocity tensioner is suspect, change out that first.
The tensioner very common to fail on engines, it will fail, just don't know when.
Just put a new one. very common failure, my engines, Police engines, all types, engines that actually do run for a couple of whiles..

fpchief

Is there a SOS local? If I remember correctly I looked at replacing it when I had the front end torn apart and I didn't due to it being expensive...

fpchief

Yep. Brand new. All it had on front of the motor was the grooved idler, smooth idlers, and tensioner. All else up front is new Including water pump.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a vid...belt off no squeak of course. Only pulley that does not turn very freely is the passenger side top idler pulley (or whatever those top pulleys are called)....

I do think there is a good chance it is coming from the belt tensioner.

Just a note, but your serp setup requires the tensioner that has no lip on the pulley, Your setup uses
a completely smooth idler all the way across

fpchief

Continuing effort to find my squeak....the squeak does go away for a bit if I get belt wet....used stethoscope and found no noise in any pulley area. I do believe it is actually just the belt...is it plausible that the paint that was put on there at GP could be causing a squeak??

Attachments

fpchief

Do not use belt dressing on EDPM belts
The constant velocity tensioner is suspect, change out that first.
The tensioner very common to fail on engines, it will fail, just don't know when.
Just put a new one. very common failure, my engines, Police engines, all types, engines that actually do run for a couple of whiles..
What is the deal with belt dressing on EDPM belts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks