• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serpentine belt conversion

im not new to 6.2's and 6.5's.

I need some help trying to figure this one out though.

I have a 85 m1009. ive done a good bit but down to the knitty gritty...

I am in the process of exchanging the vbelt to a serp setup. two of the larger reasons for this is because 1) the 6.5 damper pulley on the serp system is much stronger and 2) i want a tach so im going to the newer alternators that give an rpm readout.

my cousin had an 86 with a serp, but i dont remember anything about it... ive finished this motor build up but i could use some help and or advice on this serp exchange. i could technically do away with the 24v starting system but id rather hang on to it.

anyway im looking for a secondary alternator mount from a 6.5? or did the 86's with the serp also use a cs130? if they used the delco remy then I need the secondary alternator mount from a 6.5 right?

this is obviously the first time ive done this conversion so please be patient with me.

a rundown on what as been done;
gm4 turbo
s-vin (all i could find at the moment) intake however id exchange for f-vin when i find one
ceramic plated pistons
forged crank
fluidampr
reverse rotation water pump and backing plate
new timing chain and gear set

plan is to finish up with two isolated ground custom cs130's from a alternator shop around the corner. adjustable voltage. buddy is basically copying the orig delco-remys and making it into a more modern setup while retaining the mil-specs. including the very large capacitors on the electrical harness... (im assuming this was the "emp" shielding?)

its too late, everything is already done. id have to rip off the front end to go back. ive looked into tiny tachs, but i needed higher flow water pump anyway because of the turbo....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No need to pull the pump off for the tiny tach. The transducer clamps onto a fuel injector line.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome

You could have just tapped into the signal wire that was already there for a regular tach.

Sounds like you have a project for sure

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Alternatively I have a tach that uses a coil that is strapped to an alternator and picks up the field change.

for some reason the website has been unresponsive for the past 5 hours or so.... but as I was going to say... its already done. the whole thing. the motor is back together. turbo, pistons, low end, front end, all of it. now im doing the front end accessories

i was just curious about a part number or picture of a secondary alternator bracket for the mil-spec 6.5's or an 86 6.2 or where i could buy one... (both with serp systems) not vbelt

the entire motor is done, serp setup works fine, if i can get away with buying a part instead of modding or welding a bracket for secondary alternator that would be great. if i have to mod and mill out a bracket that is fine too, just figured id find some good solutions / answers here :)

as far as the delco remy alts are concerned ill be hanging on to them. i may sell them i may not. ill be selling the entire v-belt front end once i clean it up and paint the parts.

i know i can tap the signals to the delco remys, i need the larger pump for the higher temps due to turbo.

anyway, just lookin for a pik of an 86 front end with the serp and secondary alternator or
a pik of a 6.5 mil spec with the serp and secondary alternator...
or..
a part number or the secondary alternator bracket itself.... or where i could find one maybe....

Barrman

1988 was the first year for the 6.2 to have a serpentine belt. 1993 and 1994 6.5 trucks had a tach sender as part of the oil pump drive at the rear top of the engine. 1995 and newer used the alternator for the factory tach signal. 1996 is also when they started offering the dual alternator 12 volt set up for ambulances and stuff. 1997 or 1998 is when they went to the dual thermostat cross over pipe. The dual alternator set up only came with the mounts that had the alternator on the passenger side and the a/c on the drivers side.

The cross over pipe you have installed looks to be for the alternator on the drivers side.

after searching all night you would be correct. i have a few different crossovers, not worried. i need a mount from 96-2000. do you guys know if an 01-? duramax pass mount would work??

im tempted to start welding... lol but its a perfectly good ac mount. a cucv with ac. that wouldnt be so bad. ive also contemplated mounting where the vac pump mounts. technically id just need to drill another hole and that would be that. drill one, fill and reinforce the other.

but having the correct mount would be most favorable

Last edited:
thanks. it seems alot of you guys are a hella lot nicer than some folks at another diesel forum im not mentioning.

i own and run a hot-rod / restoration shop. sometimes i work with some strange setups that are not necessarily conventional and all I ever get is "no, you cant do that..." or... "its not possible" and i get a bunch of flack. but whatever, does not stop me from completing the job with a grade A+ average and money at the end of the day.

ill post piks when its done.

by the way, this CUCV will be for sale when it is done. completely restored. 22k on motor. will be swapping the th400 with a manual valve body 4l80 4 speed. can upgrade to dual transfer cases. will have a more modern tilt steering column too (considering driver air bag setup). new gauges. gotta have the rpm and coolant gauges. egr and boost are a given. gloss military grey hardened enamel (could sand it to make it flat) tough stuff. cant scratch it easily.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your thinking about listing it in the classifieds here you need a premium membership . The reason I mention this is until the end of this month the memberships are at a reduced rate to bring some needed funds for upgrades to the site . Just thought I would put it out here to save you a few bucks.
[h=1]Membership Drive[/h]

im actually a senior software developer (been coding since i was 6 years old, im 31 now). i could definitely help out with that... ill code for nothing. its fun to me.

nah i likely wont sell on classifieds here. i sell on ebay or thru our own website. i use a personal marketing agent for 99% of our vehicular sales (word of mouth).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks