• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Serpentine Belt

Doug D.

So i have a M-1114 and wanting to change serpentine belt. i realize i have to disconnect hydraulic line from in front of fan. is this hard to do? Looks like there is an access plate on the side---is this how to do it?

Jinx

Mine was also disconnected. I found the male nipple on the fan clutch side was missing and had to replace it first. To do all that, I jammed my hands through the fan blade. Someone here later said it would have been easier to reach it from the underside of the truck.

Oh, I reread your post and kinda misunderstood. You do NOT need to disconnect the hydraulic line. If you study the belt diagram carefully you will realize both sides of the serpentine go OVER the pully.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Serpentine belt runs on the outside of that pulley, not like the V belts that go to the inside, so no disconnect required.

The disconnect is one of those upgrades that came after it was no longer needed. The V belt trucks didn't come with one originally, and you had to unthread the hydraulic hose to get the belts replaced. They finally installed a quick disconnect, and then did a serpentine system that made it irrelevant.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Serpentine belt runs on the outside of that pulley, not like the V belts that go to the inside, so no disconnect required.

The disconnect is one of those upgrades that came after it was no longer needed. The V belt trucks didn't come with one originally, and you had to unthread the hydraulic hose to get the belts replaced. They finally installed a quick disconnect, and then did a serpentine system that made it irrelevant.
Not only not needed, they are notorious for leaking and should have been left off of the later trucks.
I actually find it easier to reach in with a wrench and un-thread the original setup than trying to unplug the quick connect.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not only not needed, they are notorious for leaking and should have been left off of the later trucks.
I actually find it easier to reach in with a wrench and un-thread the original setup than trying to unplug the quick connect.
Mine leaked, so I went to the local hydraulics shop and bought an industry standard fitting they had on the shelf, rather than the one that would have had to be special ordered for the HMMWV. Had to replace both sides of the fitting, but 3 years later no issues, and if something does happen I can either walk into any shop and buy one, or steal one off another piece of equipment around here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks