• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

serpentine mudflap VHF antenna

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a company that makes them, embedded in mudflaps with an RF connector. I imagine one could come up with a poor man's version, sandwiched between two flaps. Your thoughts ?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Green Wave Scientific. Will explore the patent offfice website to see what info is available. I like the idea of a stealthy antenna.

ke5eua

I love how it states 20-500 MHz but the vswr graph even shows anything below 90 MHz is over 3:1

I like the idea behind it but without a matching unit to accompany it your just melting the ice off the mudflap.

With the antenna so low to the ground the radiation pattern wouldn't be effective as a whip.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts are along the lines of driving to the top of a hill then facing the rear of the vehicle toward where I want to communicate. Not on a regular basis, rather, for emergency or relay comms.

I am really am trying to keep the outside of my vehicle as clean as possible (no roof rack, fuel cans, uneccessary lighting) so do not want the antenna farm look. I guess I will just go with handhelds to solve that problem. I need mudflaps anyway, seems nice to have dual functionality wherever possible.

ke5eua

My thoughts are along the lines of driving to the top of a hill then facing the rear of the vehicle toward where I want to communicate. Not on a regular basis, rather, for emergency or relay comms.

I am really am trying to keep the outside of my vehicle as clean as possible (no roof rack, fuel cans, uneccessary lighting) so do not want the antenna farm look. I guess I will just go with handhelds to solve that problem. I need mudflaps anyway, seems nice to have dual functionality wherever possible.
I understand the purpose, and need. True hams drill holes, lol

tim292stro

I tend to agree with Mike/KE5EUA. The radiation pattern they put in the datasheet is a free-space radiation pattern in a semi-anechoic chamber - not mounted to a vehicle, and definitely not mounted to a vehicle with your configuration (datasheets illustrate the ideal capabilities of the antenna before the "system" is considered). Vehicles make a terrible ground-plane due to the various body panels, rubber isolators, rust/corrosion, and the noise created by the vehicle's own electrical system - then take into account that the vehicle is mostly isolated from the ground by the tires making the truck a capacitive ground (virtual ground).

If you're already talking about parking your truck for emergency comms, why not get a telescoping fiberglass flagpole and hang a piece of wire from it and make yourself a dipole? The same pole could be used to make a ground plane antenna (4 ground radials). You can keep your radio in the truck if you want and put an N-connector bulkhead fitting somewhere out of sight (like in a rear fender-well) and keep a cover plug on it when not in use (further trick would be to put a dummy N-female connector with a micro-switch in the TX circuit of the radio - so you have to take off the cap, put in on the dummy fitting before you can transmit -should save a power stage or two).

If you just don't want it visible when you don't need it, try an NMO antenna mount through the roof, then put a cap on it when you don't have the whip attached.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks