• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Service lights and break light issues

Gregory.cox3

Here is my issue, I have replaced the break switch, light switch, turn signal switch and rear lights on my M1097A2. The turn signals work but the service lights and the break lights won’t come on. Also there is no power to the windshield wiper motor. Is there anything else I can do to trouble shoot the rear lights? All other lights works fine. Would a bad ground wire be the issue? Just spit balling here because I’ve run out of ideas.

Action

So, you need to adjust the brake switch and fix the contacts between the w/s frame and body?
Is your start switch in RUN when trying to use the wipers? Or do you have a keyed ignition switch installed?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time to get out the schematic and start troubleshooting your issue, the power to the light switch powers the turn signals so that part you know is working. other than that you need to just start tracing out the wires with a volt meter or test light (test light is much easier to deal with) just replacing parts is a poor way to troubleshoot as you can cause more issues along the way.
Action is probably right about the WW motor as that is a common problem.

Gregory.cox3

So, you need to adjust the brake switch and fix the contacts between the w/s frame and body?
Is your start switch in RUN when trying to use the wipers? Or do you have a keyed ignition switch installed?
Yes and yes, I can run through the wiring again maybe I missed something. Fifth time is the charm. The brake switch has been adjusted to where you can hear it engage when pressing on the break and it’s a new switch. But still doesn’t explainwhy I have no rear lights other than turn signals and hazards. The tail lights are brand new. The connections are in good condition. I’ll have to look at the wiring again and check the contact to the frame one more time.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First things first, do you have power to the brake light switch when in service brake or service drive on the light switch?
Actually it would probably be easier to drop the light switch out so you can look at the connections on the rear.
service brake power comes out of pin A wire 75A then when you step on the brakes power goes back into the switch on pin K wire 75B

Last edited:

springer1981

Several things I can think of when I did mine and things didn't work as intended, on the rear lights there is a strap that goes to both of the mounting bolts. If you didn't put that strap on the some of your lights won't function correctly. Both bolts are grounds to different light functions and there is only 1 ground wire to the light housing. The strap completes the ground to the other bolt.

Also the light switch has many different settings and I've had mixed results until I tried them all to see what they do. Like there is a running light only setting that makes the head lights not function. Basically play with all the switch settings... but check the strap first. The front lights have the same strap on them.

Here is a picture I found online ... there is a metal strap between these bolts.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then the brake light switched power (brakes applied) goes back out of the light switch on pin C wire 22A it then goes into the turn signal switch on pin D still wire 22A
At that point if the turn signals are working and the turn signal switch is in the neutral position the brake lights must work unless the turn signal switch is bad

Gregory.cox3

Time to get out the schematic and start troubleshooting your issue, the power to the light switch powers the turn signals so that part you know is working. other than that you need to just start tracing out the wires with a volt meter or test light (test light is much easier to deal with) just replacing parts is a poor way to troubleshoot as you can cause more issues along the way.
Action is probably right about the WW motor as that is a common problem.
First things first, do you have power to the brake light switch when in service brake or service drive on the light switch?
Actually it would probably be easier to drop the light switch out so you can look at the connections on the rear.
service brake power comes out of pin A wire 75A then when you step on the brakes it goes back into the switch on pin K wire 75B
I can give it a go. Ive been looking for a physical issue because all the switches were replaced with ones that I know work. I was thinking maybe the flasher is bad. I’ll pick up a tester and try it out I’m just not confident in my ability to adequately diagnose an electric issue. I guess failure is the best teacher.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several things I can think of when I did mine and things didn't work as intended, on the rear lights there is a strap that goes to both of the mounting bolts. If you didn't put that strap on the some of your lights won't function correctly. Both bolts are grounds to different light functions and there is only 1 ground wire to the light housing. The strap completes the ground to the other bolt.

Also the light switch has many different settings and I've had mixed results until I tried them all to see what they do. Like there is a running light only setting that makes the head lights not function. Basically play with all the switch settings... but check the strap first. The front lights have the same strap on them.

Here is a picture I found online ... there is a metal strap between these bolts.

Yes that could be your service drive (tail light) issue

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can give it a go. Ive been looking for a physical issue because all the switches were replaced with ones that I know work. I was thinking maybe the flasher is bad. I’ll pick up a tester and try it out I’m just not confident in my ability to adequately diagnose an electric issue. I guess failure is the best teacher.
Turn signal flasher is OK if the turn signals work

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last person that replaced a bunch of stuff trying to troubleshoot an issue messed up on one of the connectors on a known good part so he chased his tail for quite a while.
ACTUALLY troubleshooting the issue to the ACTUAL bad component will give you a MUCH better understanding of your system than just swapping parts.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EDIT I cleaned this up to make it easier to understand, just 4 easy steps!!!

Unless one is trained in electrical/electronic troubleshooting is is FAR better to focus on one issue at a time, then many times as you figure out one issue other issues go away, so lets start with just the brake lights.

What we know is the turn signals work, this uses the same lamp filament as the brake lights in the tail tight assembly so we know that wiring and lamps from the turn signal switch to the tail lights are OK and it is not a ground issue (at this point) so lets just follow the power coming out of the light switch.

1, With the light switch in service brake position see if there is power to pin A wire tag 75A on the light switch.

2, If that is OK then apply the brakes and see if power is going back into the light switch on pin K wire tag 75B

3, If that is OK then see if power is being applied to pin C wire tag 22A on the light switch when the brakes are applied

4, If that is OK then see if power is being applied to pin D still wire marker 22A at the turn signal switch with the brakes applied.

IF that is all OK then the brake lights must work or the turn signal switch is bad.

If there is trouble with step 1 the light switch is bad because we know power to the switch is OK since the turn signals work.
If there is trouble with step 2 then there is a problem with the brake light switch/wiring
If there is trouble with step 3 then the light switch is bad
and again if in step 4 the power is there then we know the turn signal switch is bad because the turn signals work so we know the wires to and the bulbs for the turn signal/brake lights work.

Last edited:

Gregory.cox3

EDIT I cleaned this up to make it easier to understand, just 4 easy steps!!!

Unless one is trained in electrical/electronic troubleshooting is is FAR better to focus on one issue at a time, then many times as you figure out one issue other issues go away, so lets start with just the brake lights.

What we know is the turn signals work, this uses the same lamp filament as the brake lights in the tail tight assembly so we know that wiring and lamps from the turn signal switch to the tail lights are OK and it is not a ground issue (at this point) so lets just follow the power coming out of the light switch.

1, With the light switch in service brake position see if there is power to pin A wire tag 75A on the light switch.

2, If that is OK then apply the brakes and see if power is going back into the light switch on pin K wire tag 75B

3, If that is OK then see if power is being applied to pin C wire tag 22A on the light switch when the brakes are applied

4, If that is OK then see if power is being applied to pin D still wire marker 22A at the turn signal switch with the brakes applied.

IF that is all OK then the brake lights must work or the turn signal switch is bad.

If there is trouble with step 1 the light switch is bad because we know power to the switch is OK since the turn signals work.
If there is trouble with step 2 then there is a problem with the brake light switch/wiring
If there is trouble with step 3 then the light switch is bad
and again if in step 4 the power is there then we know the turn signal switch is bad because the turn signals work so we know the wires to and the bulbs for the turn signal/brake lights work.
ok so I bought a circuit tester and found I had a faulty ground wire. I was able to get both the service lights and break lights working. On that note thank you very much. Now into the windshield wiper motor. I don’t have a reservoir with pump do you think that may have something to do with it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks