• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

servicing deuce injectors

Beyond Biodiesel

I searched the archive for "servicing deuce injectors," but found no thread on the subject. Since I am in the middle of servicing my deuce injectors, and I have a few questions, then I thought I would start a thread on the subject, and hopefully someone will answer my questions, and/or I will contribute what I am doing so far. I will have to add photos later.

I have the TM that covers full service of my deuce, including servicing deuce injectors, but I will have to post the TM #, when I am back at my M756a2.

I removed the return lines, and loosened and disconnected the injector hard pipes from the injectors, while leaving them attached to the IP. I also removed the injector hard pipe clamps. I then removed the injectors, and found that at least 2 of them were not even bolted in with any torque value at all on them. Consequently I noticed that the copper compression washers had been burned slightly, and the silicone seals on those injectors had also been burned slightly; however, I also found all of the injector silicone seals were serviceable.

I have a 1983 Chevy van with a factory installed 6.2L diesel engine in it. I have been running alternative diesel fuels on it for 10 years. The injectors on that engine used to coke up annually from running a fuel blend that was 80% WVO plus 20% gasoline. So, I learned how to service those injectors, which included purchasing 2 ultra-sonic cleaners. If you are going to service your own injectors for a deuce, then you are going to want to purchase an ultra-sonic cleaner that has a 2L (2qt) capacity.

Before putting my injectors in the ultra-sonic cleaner, I installed 1/8 NPT plugs into the inlet of each injector, to keep dirt out of the inside of the injectors. I used stale gasoline as my cleaning solvent in my 2L (2qt) capacity ultra-sonic cleaner. It worked just fine. In between each half-hour cleaning cycle I ran a brass wire brush over the entire outside of the injectors, including the injector tips. My injectors were 1-hole type. Note: one has to be careful not to be too aggressive on cleaning the tips.

My present problem is locating a source for the crush washers to seal the injectors on installation. I foolishly figured that I could just purchase the crush washers from any local auto parts store. I was wrong. Not even the local Fleet Auto Parts store, which is generally good for big diesel engine parts, had them. So, does anyone have an idea where to get them? I am guessing it is going to be an AMBEC part. And, I guess it is going to be the same for the silicone seals, if they are going to be needed.

You are going to want to pick up a pop pressure tester. I bought one years ago from Ebay for testing the injectors on my 6.2L.

A source for the shims, for adjusting the pop pressure, would be useful as well. It is probably another AMBEC part.

While cleaning the injectors I found a very small amount of coke on the injector tips. The explanation for why I found so little coke on the deuce injectors is probably due to a number of factors: I only have a couple of thousand miles on alternative diesel fuels on my deuce; and I have been running 60% WVO blends since I bought the deuce; and an N/A deuce may be more efficient at burning alternative diesel fuels than an N/A 6.2L, due to its various design features that allow it to burn a wider range of fuels, which is why I bought the deuce. A turbo would improve this further, so I plan to add one as soon as I can afford it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Did you pop test them before you did anything? I pulled mine and went right to the pop tester. It was amazing how poor of shape some were in. I had 2 that didn't reach 1000psi!

Beyond Biodiesel

Did you pop test them before you did anything? I pulled mine and went right to the pop tester. It was amazing how poor of shape some were in. I had 2 that didn't reach 1000psi!
I suppose doing so would be instructive, but I figured that they would not be within spec, and 4 of them had a small amount of coke on them, so I figured that I would not waist my time, and just clean them first.

Beyond Biodiesel

I pulled my injectors and cleaned them up in an ultra-sonic cleaner. Now I need to locate an adapter so that I can use my Baush pop tester on these deuce injectors. Does any one know of such?

rustystud

Beyond Biodiesel

Another thing we need to track down for servicing our injectors is a shim kit to adjust their pop pressure. Perhaps someone here knows where we can get a shim kit?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pretty sure fordmechanic had a thread and told us what he used. Might want to check threads started by him.

Beyond Biodiesel

Making your own might work out well, but a pop tester can be bought on eBay for $110, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Inje...604091&hash=item46659e5c6f:g:EwUAAOSwiQ9ZRPs1.
Last weekend I found my pop tester above did not work. I expect that either they need to be used regularly, or these cheap pop testers from India do not last long, because I only used in about 5 times in 5 years.

The adapter kit that will work for the deuce injectors might be in this kit for $159.95 at this url: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Inje...hash=item25cef4a1a2:m:mkfuVxROA6INDqw6ngfuS0w
This kit, above, has adapters for just about every diesel engine in use since the 50s, except the multifule diesel engine. I plan to contact the guy to see if he is planning on making an adapter for our engines.

Beyond Biodiesel

This kit, above, has adapters for just about every diesel engine in use since the 50s, except the multifuel diesel engine. I plan to contact the guy to see if he is planning on making an adapter for our engines.
I forgot to mention that the adapter needed for testing the deuce injectors is 1/2" fine thread rh, with the threads on the outside of the nut. The guy who provides a very nice adapter kit for the stock Bosh injector pop tester on eBay said,
Hello Jeff,
Sorry, but the 1/2 inch connector is not included in this kit. We do offer this nut as a separate item. The cost is $19.40. We could include this item in the kit, but would need to go up on the price. Let me know and we can send you this connector nut. regards, mark usdiesel.com 817-485-6422
- texasparts
I plan to order it ASAP, and will let you all know how it works out.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks