• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sets of hard doors..

Ephraim76

Would one of us please fabricate sets of hard doors at a reasonable price say $1500.. I’ll place an order for 50 sets if you need the garrantee there is a demand. I bet this post gets at least 50 of us look at it showing the demand is there. It makes me sick to see guys trying to charge us north of 3k. How much does sheet metal cost these days?
Done my rant

charlietango

It shouldn’t be difficult to make fibreglass ones - I just need a sample or blueprints to make the molds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pierreab

It shouldn’t be difficult to make fibreglass ones - I just need a sample or blueprints to make the molds

Midwest Military Supply is repopping them or having them made by someone else $ 5000 is there initial offering price; rediculous or should I say gouging !!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

BLK HMMWV

Well the original door are Kevlar reinforced fiberglass. not sheet metal so most people want the original doors not just something to hang on some hinges. They also had window tracks in them and windows.
OP Sounds like you should be the one to make them as you seem to think there so easy to make .

charlietango

Midwest Military Supply is repopping them or having them made by someone else $ 5000 is there initial offering price; rediculous or should I say gouging !!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Seems steep, but that’s capitalism. Until there’s competition we’re hooped until someone steps up. I have many companies here who build high end shower units, we have Equinox industries who builds all kinds of high end toboggans, and septic tanks etc and all are very capable. The setup fee is the expensive part they said but it would pay off I’m sure. If NAFTA stays alive you’d all pay Canadian dollars too which would be beneficial, but alas I need the blueprints to make the molds

charlietango

Well the original door are Kevlar reinforced fiberglass. not sheet metal so most people want the original doors not just something to hang on some hinges. They also had window tracks in them and windows.
OP Sounds like you should be the one to make them as you seem to think there so easy to make .
The Kevlar in them has a very short lifespan so I don’t see people giving a **** about that but I can see them wanting the look. The tracks are actually easy to add as it’s simple C channel and the glass is easy to cut. It’s a multi-step process however - form the doors and add the hardware - no different making anything else with composites but to do it cheap requires large quantity. The question is who’s willing to take the risk? Fiberglass or acrylic roof and doors I think would sell for the right price personally if they looked correct. Most people here want functionality

Ephraim76

The Kevlar in them has a very short lifespan so I don’t see people giving a **** about that but I can see them wanting the look. The tracks are actually easy to add as it’s simple C channel and the glass is easy to cut. It’s a multi-step process however - form the doors and add the hardware - no different making anything else with composites but to do it cheap requires large quantity. The question is who’s willing to take the risk? Fiberglass or acrylic roof and doors I think would sell for the right price personally if they looked correct. Most people here want functionality
If someone here has the ability to make them I’ll be the distributor. I’ll place the order for 50 sets, that’s 200 doors as I know I can sell them all day. I just want a functional hard door that looks like the x door. I’m sure most others want the same thing. The cost to consumer needs to be at 1500. There must be room there for profits. I don’t know jack about fabrication but I do know I’d have no problem selling them for 1500 a set for 4.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone here has the ability to make them I’ll be the distributor. I’ll place the order for 50 sets, that’s 200 doors as I know I can sell them all day. I just want a functional hard door that looks like the x door. I’m sure most others want the same thing. The cost to consumer needs to be at 1500. There must be room there for profits. I don’t know jack about fabrication but I do know I’d have no problem selling them for 1500 a set for 4.

This Dream just won't die....and if I had them made, why would I let you be the distributor?
the hard part is the fabrication. Now if you want to pony up the working capital and fund this pipe dream, I'm all ears.
the only way this price gets down is haveing them Mfg'd offshore and in a very large quantity.
making the mold is not the hard part, it's everything else, plus assembly.
joes doors good good from what I can see....yes, 5k is a bit steep, so I have no problem staying with soft doors.

911joeblow

Back in my Motorsports days we built many many fiberglass, Carbon Fiber, and Kevlar body parts for road race cars. It is all about the moulds. Building these from dimensions is not the way to do it. If I were to do this I would start from a very clean set of doors and build the moulds then start to produce the doors from there. The moulds take up a lot of space (they are built with a lot of wood, metal, resin etc to stay stiff and hold shape) and the doors are large and also take up space. To be efficient you would want to make a lot of doors over weeks and weeks vs one by one. So in the end you need 1000 sq/ft to just store the moulds, doors, raw materials, etc. Then there is still the metal slider mechanisms, lock knobs, inner and outer handles, hinges, glass, paint, seals. For $1500 a set I would lose money and at say $2000 it would take hundreds of sets to make anything from this project. I am not saying no but when another vendor sells them for $5K I would not say they are gouging, I would say they have invested a lot and they are looking to make a return. That is capitalism, and if that vendor sells enough sets to make a profit then good on them. That will support them making more products for these trucks and keeping them going.

charlietango

I agree with everything you said here and it’s basically exactly what I’m saying. I don’t agree with the offshore because of the bulk and I think we can benefit with the Canadian dollar. The mould is the key and I’d even go as far as suggesting selling just the raw doors with window channels for those who want a bit of a DIY. Add your own seals, find your own glass cutter, do your own painting. If I had just the door panels I’d be set. The rest is easy but I’m handy. If someone wanted the whole kit “turn key” they’d pay that premium

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
and to think just months ago I was selling X doors for $1200 a set from 2 different suppliers.

I have the capability to make them but like someone said it requires windows and all that junk and its not as simple as you would think and a lot of labor. I would see making each door out of fiberglass with a mold already made. channels and junk as being 5hrs a door not including glass installs or having to cut it and frame work.

The guy in Elk River, MN was making em and they were easy on the pocket book. He is a vendor on here but I have not seen him in awhile.

603hellmutt

A buddy of mine is having a sample set cast from a fiberglass shop in Maine, will have to add your own window channels. Should be done in the near future and with any luck will be a good price or at least better then what they are right now.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and to think just months ago I was selling X doors for $1200 a set from 2 different suppliers.

I have the capability to make them but like someone said it requires windows and all that junk and its not as simple as you would think and a lot of labor. I would see making each door out of fiberglass with a mold already made. channels and junk as being 5hrs a door not including glass installs or having to cut it and frame work.

The guy in Elk River, MN was making em and they were easy on the pocket book. He is a vendor on here but I have not seen him in awhile.
Maybe he moved to Cambridge, MN.... There's regularly someone on GovPlanet in Cambridge MN selling them but they are over 3K...... I'll wait.....I see some of the slant backs are now coming down in price, A little more and I might pull the trigger on the whole shebang rather than pay crazy prices for doors.

Last edited:

NormB

Just a thought, but who was the original manufacturer of these doors?

I had a friend a few years back who fulfilled a childhood dream when he bought a Delorean DMC-12. A LOT of guys wanted one, so much so there was someone who bought out all the old stock parts and dies (If I recall correctly) and began stamping out new body parts. You want a Delorean, showroom new? They're supposed to have started selling this past year:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31197/new-delorean-dmc-12-pre-order/

It MIGHT be possible to find the original X-door mfr, make a deal for, say, 250 sets of doors at "X" price and go from there.

I just - a month ago - bought a set (pick of the litter) of X-doors with good glass, CARC peeling in places, bought a set of seals and locking "handles" and will set aside some space this winter to refinish them in my garage. $1800 and I picked them up. Luck of the Irish.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New fiberglasss x doors are out there for sale. Its the hardware that's the deal breaker. If i remember right the new fiberglass doors were $250 ea. That's the cheap part. As they found out it was making a correct working practical window not a RV bathroom window. Then comes the hardware. Try pricing all that out.

DHAN12435

I picked up three M998 units and during the process I spoke with my Gov Planet rep about hard doors. He basically told me for what ever reason most bases have a restriction on allowing hard doors to leave so they are pulled off. He mentioned that he has seen stacks and stacks of them just sitting unused. I imagine one of these days they will either end up thrown out or put up for sale in a large lot. Maybe as more Humvees are sold and the prices drop they may allow hard doors to stay on to bring the pricing back up.. Who knows. Until then I guess its who ever can fork out the money will get hard doors...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up three M998 units and during the process I spoke with my Gov Planet rep about hard doors. He basically told me for what ever reason most bases have a restriction on allowing hard doors to leave so they are pulled off. He mentioned that he has seen stacks and stacks of them just sitting unused. I imagine one of these days they will either end up thrown out or put up for sale in a large lot. Maybe as more Humvees are sold and the prices drop they may allow hard doors to stay on to bring the pricing back up.. Who knows. Until then I guess its who ever can fork out the money will get hard doors...
GL had a tire scrap listing at fort Polk. In the background picture are stacks of basic x doors on pallets. I do think they get pulled and who knows? Never seen any on any GL sales new or used. I think the "kelvar" makes them bad things for us to own as it implies they are armored and the demil code does not let them out. Just my Holiday Inn guess....

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back when a plane old soft top trucks were going for 20k the doors were $ 150 to $ 250 ea.
Before Govplanet .

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sooner everyone realizes the only thing for certain is that everything is Uncertain in regards to demil requirements for parts, the better off y'all will be.
GP Sells trucks with x-doors, others without...DLA and MC inspectors seem to have a varying position on this for whatever reason. I know currently that the Barstow M1043/45's require the doors to be "shredded", while Albany trucks are sold with Basic and supplemental doors....go figure.
There is and will continue to be a shortage....and then one day, they will all be gone.
But the basic door is still mfg'd for the M1151 for CONUS Use, it's a different angle due to the armor on the truck.
We have them on the SF trucks at the base, a supplier of mine told me who the mfg is and I forget at this time, but the cost was IIRC, about 2500.00 per door.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks