• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sets of hard doors..

BLK HMMWV

And to think I had custom skins made to chop door in half and make half X doors . back then they were cheap .
Still have a few sets of skins but no more crappy doors.
$2,000 for a set of x doors that's needs some work doesn't sound to bad compared to $2,500 per door.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
New fiberglasss x doors are out there for sale. Its the hardware that's the deal breaker. If i remember right the new fiberglass doors were $250 ea. That's the cheap part. As they found out it was making a correct working practical window not a RV bathroom window. Then comes the hardware. Try pricing all that out.
That right there is what made me just find a set of real X doors. I can't stand the RV windows in all the aftermarket offerings. Not only the doors, but also the "hard tops" they're making with a RV window in them. Let's go to all the trouble of making a custom door/hard top, and then cheap out with some RV crap.

jackson76550

just paid 2250 shipped for a really nice set of 4....hurt my feelings but as I saw the prices trending up I thought id grab some. if someone owned a fiberglass shop....a machine shop and a glass shop they could knock them out! haha.

Pierreab

just paid 2250 shipped for a really nice set of 4....hurt my feelings but as I saw the prices trending up I thought id grab some. if someone owned a fiberglass shop....a machine shop and a glass shop they could knock them out! haha.
Don't fret, you got a great deal. I paid $3000 for a set just because they were in my home town and didn't have to pay for shipping; and one of mine has a broken window !!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

teteacher101

Don't fret, you got a great deal. I paid $3000 for a set just because they were in my home town and didn't have to pay for shipping; and one of mine has a broken window !!!

I bought a set of VERY nice X doors and a set of soft doors that were like new in a package deal from a guy. I got a VERY good deal an now looking back-I should have bought more.

cucvegas

Hard Door Plans

Does anyone have plans to fabricate hard doors for a humvee? It seems like $3-4k is too much for what you get.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BLK HMMWV

The topic has been raised here on this board several times.
You can probably find them by using the search feature.
People seem to still be finding them for under 3K shipped .
The trouble is all the stuff attached to the door to make the window work and look the same.
Most want the correct working window not some kind of R/V sliding window.

When HMMWV's were rare parts where cheap. Now HMMWV's are cheap and parts are rare and expensive.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll bite. I have fiberglass available as scraps in chop mat and directional cloth to experiment with a mold. We can make most metal parts/ have sheet metal shop available.

Who has a (perfect) set to take a mold from, near Indiana?

Please post up some good pictures of the doors, window, tracks, hinges and anything else. I don't have HMMWV to use for reference.

Possible financial partners PM me.

BLK HMMWV

Never heard of them.
Not much to see on there website either.
Not sure why anyone would think building a HMMWV look a like from a set of photo's and plans would be any cheaper or easier then buying a real one.

Pierreab

Never heard of them.
Not sure why anyone would think building a HMMWV look a like from a set of photo's and plans would be any cheaper or easier then buying a real one.
When these plans/kits were designed the government hadn't started to auction there surplus.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'll bite. I have fiberglass available as scraps in chop mat and directional cloth to experiment with a mold. We can make most metal parts/ have sheet metal shop available.

Who has a (perfect) set to take a mold from, near Indiana?

Please post up some good pictures of the doors, window, tracks, hinges and anything else. I don't have HMMWV to use for reference.

Possible financial partners PM me.
Making the fiberglass skin is the easy part. The hardware is where you're going to have trouble. I'm obviously too far away, but I can take pics and measurements of mine.

Pierreab

Making the fiberglass skin is the easy part. The hardware is where you're going to have trouble. I'm obviously too far away, but I can take pics and measurements of mine.
They're out there already; they aren't reasonably priced either !!!

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never heard of them.
Cheaper or easier??? People fill niches all the time when things are hard to find. Being that responses say they are taking them off and destroying them, apparently finding original at reasonable (surplus) prices may be more difficult, not easier.

I have enough fiber to make the molds if someone with perfect doors to take molds from will step up and get involved. I have contacts in a fiber plant, having recently put in booths, chopping, mat and curing line, if production needs go that far.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut my teeth on fiberglass building a Vari-Eze (Rutan) from plans, so have a handle on strength, types of glass and kevlar and reinforcement.

Please post up some of the hardware pictures.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy, I got an email with the photo's but they don't seem to show up here. Have you sourced any of the components as "off the shelf" items, especially the window? The door latch seems fairly common. I like the one (like your picture) with a pull out T (tool box) and a lock. Would be cool to get sets keyed alike too.

Question...to make a proper mold at least on the outside, will any of the attachments need to be removed? Is dis-assembly of the pattern doors necessary to make a quality reproduction?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks