• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Severe steering issues

carctruck

So I'm having some steering issues with my 84 cucv, when returning from a Left hand or right hand turn my wheel will "cam" over center to the opposite direction, sometimes when correcting this it cams over to the opposite side again. Ive already replaced one bad center link rod end and the steering box. Anyone else experience this?
2cents

Hasdrubal

Sounds like your front end u-joints need replacing. Had the same thing happen to me several years ago. Usually do all the work myself, but in this case I let my mechanic friend do it. Had greasable u-joints installed.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I've had issues like this before and it can be one of several problems. In addition to U joints, you should also look at replacing the sway bar, drag link, and potentially tie rod and pitman arm depending on how sur you want to be.

Brett09

I've had issues like this before and it can be one of several problems. In addition to U joints, you should also look at replacing the sway bar, drag link, and potentially tie rod and pitman arm depending on how sur you want to be.
I would look at everything else before replacing the sway bar or pitman arm. Unless they have been altered, I don't think you will find a solution in those two parts.
2cents

carctruck

Thanks everyone, last night I took the time to make sure the steering box was bled free of any air as well as replace the pump lines, looks like everything is a ok at the moment thank you all for your help.

carctruck

Ok opening this one up again had the same issue again this is after replacing the wheel bearings making sure the spring bushings were not the issue, replacing forward tie rod end of the center link. I noticed someone suggested u-joints, did you mean ball joints, u-joints shouldnt be spinning if 4wd is not engaged. Also whenever I lock the hubs I CANT get the steering to fail. Anyone have any ideas?

carctruck

Sorry it took so long to get back here (im not online often and I travel a lot), I got a chance to check my u-joints, they were very seized, I beat them out and drove to Wisconsin and back with no problems, thank you everyone for your help and I truly apologize for taking so long to respond.

Cucvnut

its cool man you had to work glad to hear you found out the issue and its better but I would replace the u joints at some point.