• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF-97 from privat seller

dentman

I STFA but found nothing similiar to my scenario; I bought a deuce from a local guy, steel soldier member. He gave me the SF97 from US GOV as well as a reassignment sf-97 from FLorida. His name is on the re-issue from florida, and the notary says he has to title the truck first then give the title to me.

I went to another notary, didnt show them the 2nd sf97 from FLA and they want me to surrender the original sf97 along with insurance info to send away to the state. Now without the original sf97 i have no way to prove i own it. any thoughts?

Sephirothq

this is just what I would have done.

I would have made the seller get a title in their name and then transfer the title.

that is just what I would have done

Oh and photocopies are a good idea as well.

ABN173

I STFA but found nothing similiar to my scenario; I bought a deuce from a local guy, steel soldier member. He gave me the SF97 from US GOV as well as a reassignment sf-97 from FLorida. His name is on the re-issue from florida, and the notary says he has to title the truck first then give the title to me.

I went to another notary, didnt show them the 2nd sf97 from FLA and they want me to surrender the original sf97 along with insurance info to send away to the state. Now without the original sf97 i have no way to prove i own it. any thoughts?
Correct it should have been titled first. However surrendering the SF-97 is part of the registration process, I just had to give mine up today when I went to get plates. It will be 6-8 weeks before I get a new title in the mail. Each state is different perhaps some PA members will chime in.

Good luck,
Dale

Isaac-1

I am not sure about your state, but a few years ago I was in a somewhat related situation, I bought a boat and trailer, the previous owner never officially changed the title and registration on the trailer to his name, instead just kept the previous bill of sale. Long story short I had to pay over $300 of fees and fines to the DMV to register a boat trailer worth maybe $600.

jimm1009

title & misc. stuff

In most states you do have to surrender it as it is the certificate of origin of sorts.

There is nothing that says that you can't get a photo copy or even a notorized photo copy of it before surrendering it.
I would make a copy of everything available in order to prove the history and ownership transfer.
I would think that if you wanted to make it a museum perfect truck some day and then sell it that it would be worth a little more with the original paperwork to go with it but anyone that does not at least make a cheapo black & white copy is a little silly for not doing so.
No offense to anyone but the more paperwork the better in this case.
I even keep a photo copy of the title with me too because I have my truck registered without a license plate so when I get pulled over about every other year all I have to do is show the history and they always walk away laughing.

Good luck with your title transfer but 6 weeks is entirely too long. The person selling the truck to you does not have to register it to but simply title it.
All you need is a title in his name and a bill of sale in 98% of the states just like buying any other used car or truck.

Jim :-D

randyscycle

It seems that these days, in most states, the procedure is to title the vehicle in the name of whoever has posession, even if it isn't tagged or used. This is to preserve a chain of paperwork for the vehicle from origin to current owner.

Here in VA and many other states, "kiting" or "title-hopping" is illegal. That means to pass a title along to another person or more without transferring it. Although many folks still do it, if you get caught, there is really no way at all to prove you actually own the vehicle in question without a signed (and in some cases notarized) bill of sale to yourself, and/or a certificate of title in your name. An SF-97 that isn't in your name is really of no use at all. That truck officially still belongs to whoever's name is on that form until an official transfer into your posession, along with the necessary fees, of course. The likelihood of anything more thn just some extra fees is small, but still it can cause a delay and some extra paperwork shuffling.