• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF-97 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaper651

Hey All,
Yet another possibly goofy question from a newbie of MV's. I'm looking at getting a 1971 M35A2. The seller bought it from a private collector years ago. It was never made street legal and there is no title or SF-97 form. I have talked with DMV and they have told me that since I am not purchasing it from the government, all I have to do is fill out an application for title, provide a signed bill of sale and get the VIN verified and I will get my title. I was wondering if anyone else has ever bought an M35A2 this way? I know some states will not allow the sale of a vehicle without a title but I believe, and have been told by the DMV here in Kalifornia(Yes with a K):cookoo: that this is not the case here. I have only talked with DMV on the phone and am thinking to make an appointment with them to discuss it further. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

zout

First - its a site rule to put your location in your Location -

I only suggest not to ask a legal question on a web site - check with the DMV - California Code of Regulations and the DMV motor vehicle manual for your area.
We do not know your legalities and you will find that some side slip and falsify information when registering vehicles - find out exactly what you need from them locally.

But EH - what do I know.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would offer to pay the costs involved for the current owner to get the title then buy it . The costs should be the same for them to title it as it would be for you to , if they can't get a title your probably not going to have much better luck if you are in the same state.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very few states will title a vehicle with just a bill-of-sale. I do not beleive Califonia is one of them.

The internet is not a place to get legal advice. Contact the DMV and get it in writing that they will accept a BOS.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the first I have heard of CA doing this. (I really don't believe it). As mentioned, I'd make the seller title it or no deal.

quickfarms

I have registered and titled several trailers with only a handwritten bill of sale without an issue. They are titled to the original manufacturer using the serial number on the data plate.

If you buy it from GL you need to get the form 97 because the package also includes a bill of sale.

If you are concerned about this make an appointment to have the CHP verify the vin, and run it, and have the seller go to DMV with you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kool

Reaper651

Kalifornia is not a state. California is.
Oh Lord, Lol the K is just a joke because of the varying stupidity of the many laws that we have In Kalifornia. Sorry about that, I didn't think about it as nobody has ever said anything. But if its going to cause confusion, I will definitely change it to the correct spelling. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks again everyone for the info.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your best bet is to listen to the advice about not getting advice from an Internet forum and either get a lawyer or go to the DMV and get it in writing what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.