• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF97 Help

xmission

I have to get the info today from the M35A2 trucks that were delivered yesterday (Thanks Mike Hatfield!) in order to file for the SF-97

Is all of the information below found on the trucks themselves? If so, where should I look?

I need the following:

Year:
Make:
Model:
VIN#:
Body Style:
Color: (Obviously I don't need help with this one :) )
Weight:
GVWR:
Mileage OR Broken / Missing odometer
Type of Fuel:
Number of Cylinders:

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Yes the info can all be found on the truck....IF you have the data plate, that is in front of the passenger.

VIN can also be found on the left (drivers) frame rail. right in front of the steering box.

Also the body style should be common sense as well.

xmission

Thanks very much Gunboy. I'll have a look here in an hour or so. I want to get this going so I can drive the darn things legally!

I wasn't sure where to start looking for the vin# !

velociT

I filled mine out last week like such:

Year: 1987
Make: AM General
Model: M35A2C
VIN#: (my vin)
Body Style: Truck
Color: (Obviously I don't need help with this one )
Weight: 13,000
GVWR: 23,000
Type of Fuel: Diesel
Number of Cylinders: 6

xmission

I filled mine out last week like such:

Year: 1987
Make: AM General
Model: M35A2C
VIN#: (my vin)
Body Style: Truck
Color: (Obviously I don't need help with this one )
Weight: 13,000
GVWR: 23,000
Type of Fuel: Diesel
Number of Cylinders: 6

Thanks! That helps much.

I wasn't sure about the fuel type, and probably would have put other. Diesel makes more sense.

Dan

Divemaster920

Banned
Remember, what you put on the sf-97 is what you recieve.
If you put wrong #s down they will send you a sf-97 with wrong #s.
They have no idea what you have and don't care.

jimm1009

data plate info

The one thing that could be missing is the year. Not all replacement data plates added by Uncle Sam after rebuild or damage had the year added.
My truck also stated that it was a M35A2 when it was an M35A2C (drop side).
That was obvious since it had the drop side bed and the correct numbers in the VIN to indicate same.
If you are not sure about the year there are two places on the left front wheel area of the frame that could have the frame heat treat date I VIN which could be used for the year but the VIN and military registration number also can be broken down for this too.
Good luck.
jimm1009

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the registration number, the last digits are the year. On most Deuces, the registration # is also printed on the inside of the door. Make sure you use the VIN number only. The registration number is not part of the VIN.

xmission

Ok, I have the Vin#s for both trucks.

The 87 says it was manufactured by Am General Corp, the 70 says nothing. Should I use AM General for both?

Also, I'm assuming that I use the highway load for GVWR, 10,000 for a total of 23,000?

What about body style? Just use "Truck"?

Last edited:

jimm1009

More than likely the '70 was a Kaiser-Jeep product. In late '71 or early '72 AM General purchased the Kaiser-Jeep tooling and started production.
Around mid'72 they started using their own data plates.
This can be seen on some other threads on the history of the deuce.
jimm1009