• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF97 with sale issues

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through this in CT and it was NOT as all the other posters are saying! CT uses a Q-1 form called a suplemental assignment of ownership form. What the DMV wants to see is a clear assignment of ownership. They were fine with the fact that someone had bought the truck from GL and then sold it to me. not an issue. All this stuff about "you have to register the truck and then sell it" or else you are doomed is just not true in CT. In CT it does not matter how many times it passes from one hand to another, just as long as you can show a clear assignment of ownership.
The reason TN doesn't do this is because every time a title is transfered they get sales tax revenue, tag, and title fees. Every time a vehicle changes hands they want their part of the sale and any time a vehicle changes hands without transfer of title they miss out on collecting any money.

In Louisiana the only way that you can skip a title is if the buyer from Uncle Sam (name on SF-97) is a used auto dealer with a Louisiana license.
Otherwise you have to title it in the name of the SF-97 holder first.
GL gets around this with a SF-97 reassignment that seems to be accepted in most staese even when they are not an auto dealer in that state.
Kind of not legal but accepted!?:cookoo:
jimm1009
OK, I'm a little confused, which is not surprising, since I'm still new to this.

I bought a Deuce through GL and have decided to sell it to my brother. Do I have to title and register it in my name and then sell it to my brother?

When I bought my first Deuce, I noticed that the SF-97 itself does not have my name or my company name on it. It just lists DLA Disposition Services as the seller (transferor) and GL as the Buyer (transferee).

There was also a Bill of Sale to me signed by an official with GL and notarized in Arizona.

Responses from Jimm1009 or anyone with experience with LA DMV are highly appreciated.

Brian
LongueCarabine

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do I have to title and register it in my name and then sell it to my brother?
Yes.

I did this same thing with my brother. He wanted a M1008 so I bought one for him. It would have been easier if he had set up an account and bid himself. I had to apply for sf97, get title in my name, and then transfer it to him. The good thing is that TN doesn't charge "gift" tax to close kin so there was no taxes involved when he titled it in his name. I did pay taxes through GL and had to pay the title transfer fees. I made him cover all the fees because I wasn't making anything off the deal.

gmayor

Sf97

The last deuce I did from GL about 18 months ago, I took the SF97 to the License Office. They rejected it, called Jeff City since I said I had done it many times before. They came back that GL is a business out of state and they got it from the Government. So they had to title it and transfer to me and then I could register it in Missouri. Went back called GL and they said they knew, would send me a title out. When I got it had the date they accepted before the sale even happened, and used that date on the title. Missouri fined me because they said I had owned it 4 months and hadn't registered it. So when I see sold with SF97, I don't even get interested.

Chief_919

Isn't Alabama one of the states that normally doesn't worry about titles for old vehicles? If so could it be that the other buyers of your trucks only showed their DMV the bill of sale and not the SF-97? If a title is not needed from Alabama if the truck is a certain year or older then the buyer would not need the SF-97, correct?

Ruppster
In NC is the state it comes from does not issue titles, you need a bill of sale and a copy of the previous registration in the sellers name.

Like most states, unless you are a dealer you can't reassign an SF-97.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a licensed colorado dealer and provide a legal title with my MV sales. sf 97 is only good to the person who its made out to. there are lots of unlicensed dealers out there, buyer beware. If you buy something your obilgated to pay sales/ownership tax for it, unless your a licensed dealer collecting and paying your business taxes and reporting all income.

buyers beware, ask ask for the title in the owners name before the purchase.

PM me if you have colorado questions, perhaps i can help.

Thanks
Terry

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks