• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shaking Down an Old Deuce and New Deuce Owner

SteveKuhn

Then and Now

Through reading the forum for the past months and my own experience I've discovered that 'The Shakedown' will probably never end as things pop up here and there. For the moment, minor stuff like bulbs and a squeaky throttle pedal.

Seems like the right spot to close this thread out with a then/now photo as we got it ready for its first parade yesterday. Markings will wait for some painting cleanup, probably during good weather 2012.

Thanks to finding pretty good history and encouragement from SRJeeper and some of the others in the threads I've posted to, I decided on the original semi gloss, flaws and all. It isn't gonna be living room furniture.

Attachments

Heavysteven

I made some video's this weekend going over some basic's with my phone.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-vkMESHXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steves,

Strong work by both of you! The running repair work account brings back memories of my first year w/the truck...doing all of the same tasks, plus brakes and bearings. The video is something that also is most welcome. It would be great if someone could get a deuce up on a lift and essentially repeat the run through more comfortably.

Many thanks

SteveKuhn

I'd put everybody to sleep if I posted all the pictures I took in the last 3 - 4 months, although there are a couple in the latex paint thread. I appreciate the complimentary comments, but we're just 1st coat, lots of cleanup on the way to getting it ready for the markings. I appreciate the encouragement and also Heavysteven's 'HowTos.'

SteveKuhn

Changing the Drivetrain Fluids

I thought that this thread was closed out but I've decided to post here since it really is part of shaking down an old truck. There are a load of posts on what to do when you get a new truck and I wanted to document why I accepted fluid changes at first but now am true believer.

I did the transfer case a couple of months ago and finally got to transmission and differentials this weekend. I did get a bit of 'oil pudding' from inside the trans at the fill plug rim on my finger when I checked the level a couple of weeks ago, so I resolved to get these done ASAP. Nothing notable there this weekend.

I'm attaching photos of the drain plug from the front tandem.

The truck was depot rebuilt at some point. These photos suggest to me that at least that differential had never been properly PMd. The truck had 26K on it when retired. I can't be convinced that the photos show any less than the 42 years and 28K now showing.

The transfer case and front and rear tandems had a some gunk and filings on the plugs, the transfer case with a fraction of what is in the pictures. The 1st photo is the rear tandem which didn't surprise me.

The transmission plug isn't magnetized. (I WANT ONE FOR IT!!!!)

None of the fluid was burned, no metal visible, no water, just a little 'marbling' of lighter color through it, but it was due for a change. For my money, this is all original.

The transmission still wants to grind for the 1st 2 - 3 shifts from 1st to 2nd until it warms up but now is otherwise noticably clean and positive. Whenever possible, I routinely run low rpms in 1st for a bit without shifting to eliminate the cold grind.

BTW, the transfer case change was about 500 miles ago and when I checked it this weekend, it is almost as clean as the new stuff I put in.

Plan is to check again in the spring particularly for metal on the plugs and perhaps repeat the change late summer/fall so that this one becomes a 'rinse.' We'll see then.

If you haven't done this to a newly truck, please take a look at the pictures and see if you don't agree it's better to find and fix this stuff.

It took me about 8+ hrs (including chasing oil and returning the old) but it would have gone much faster if I was more agile. Once upon a time, I didn't have to drag myself up by the pioneer rack.

Oh - and in the process I found what I suspect is a leaky wheel cyl. That's on tap for next week and the Jatonka spin-ons & RotellaT right behind if the weather holds.

Considering that the truck had 1000 miles put on it from mid-90s thru August, and 1200 from August until now, I figger that it's entitled to everything needed. I'm grateful that every repair happened close home and with clear symptoms before breakdown.

Attachments

rogersn67

Great write up! I just made a deal on my first deuce, and will hopefully have it home in about a month. it is an older non-turbo model, with winch. She needs plenty of TLC, but I am up for the challenge!

SteveKuhn

And just when I thought this thread had gone dormant . . . I'm glad it's proving useful.

Best of luck with your new truck. Turns out that the MTA calendar shows a parade in Randolph on 6/30 with a number of members attending. You might want to go to the staging area, introduce yourself, and get dialed in to some local support for your adventure.

Steve

SteveKuhn

I won't be there on 6/30 but the club Pres will be along w/ others.

OTOH, I'll be tagging along w/ Art & his Deuce this Saturday to a public event on Rt 10 just east of Rt 202 near 287. If you'd like to shake hands, please drop me an email or pm. Art's a good guy to know. He's been a great help to me.

OH! And plan on coming to the July meeting - a Saturday Pick-In-Ick in Madison w/ lots of MVs. Do like I did at my 1st - enter the 50/50 and win your 1st year's dues.

All those are valuable parts of getting to know your truck and the hobby

Steve

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mentioned having difficulty with your initial shifts until the trans fluid warms up...what type of lubricant are you using in it? I drained & refilled mine with Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90 from NAPA (Part #975). It is GL-4 & MT-1 compliant, and is very friendly with yellow metal parts. I noticed an immediate difference once I started using it, the transmissions shift much much easier now with no grinding. If the grinding persists, then most likely you'll need to rebuild the synchros in the transmission.

I have a pickup with a Detroit Diesel 4-53T in it, and the transmission is the same one used in the Deuces. I had immediately positive results as soon as I did a trans lube change to the Valvoline #975 (it was my Grandfather's, and had sat for 4-5 years).

SteveKuhn

After reading through a lot of the threads on transmission lubricants, I decided to use 80 - 90 from Pep Boys throughout the truck that also meets the specs. It's probably the same that most chains carry with different labels. That warm up pretty much disappeared as the weather warmed and now in June the transmission is ready when the engine is.

Thanks for the 75 - 90 suggestion. I am figuring on another change come fall and that might just be the ticket.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks