• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She Ain't Pretty

Madclown

bbuck, your hitch came out nice. i'll try to get some pics up of my set up. I like your truck it is very nice for sure. Glad to see another truck going to the butte. There are two solid steel 1" plates under the hitch that i removed to lower it an inch. I moved it back approx 20" just until the front of the hitch cleared the "cold weld rivits". I'll try to get some better light pictures up this weekend.

bbuck7777

Thanks, can't wait to try out at Butte. Have two friends that have them also and they are made for the beach. I'll look tomorrow and figure out what you did. I like the idea. I wish I could get it a little lower, but I'm only towing from near Morgan Marine to long point. I live near Academy and Wyoming if your close by. Anyway, thanks for the pictures if you get a chance. I hope to have mine registered by Saturday. Bill

Madclown

Thanks, we built the reciever hitch like a tank to pull bumper pull rv's through the sand. The flash on the phone camera did make it look wierd, i'll get some better pictures up this weekend. Can't wait to see Rick's set up too, these trucks are so much fun to work on. My Brother and I are going to be putting the reciever hitch on his M923 this Sun.

Last edited:

Bighurt

Wow, thanks guys! I guess the RV dealer was sort of correct in that the normal semi 5th wheel will not work. Neither one us knew the 931 uses the regular RV size. Dang spent $350 on a hitch I don't need.
He wanted ot sell you his product. Nearly every Over the road truck class 7 and 8 use a 5th wheel for use with a 2" pin. People do it all the time.

The issue most people have is tail swing on the tractor hitting the trailer, that and the electrical connection.

Dukeman

Madclown, brilliant re-use of your ramps for the receiver hitch! That looks killer. We did something very simple for now, but I like your idea a lot. We basically did the same thing with the tractor hitch. bbuck, take the hitch back and leave your truck looking good. We basically removed the ramps and took out the 1" spacers under the hitch then slid the hitch back to line up with some of the existing holes. So the bolt holes in the frame for the rear of the hitch became the bolt holes for the front of the hitch and we drilled new holes for the rear. I think we had to ground out one existing hole a little because they did not line up exactly with the holes in the front end of the hitch. Also we only used 6 bolts, 3 on each side of the hitch. Since we are only towing the trailer less then a mile 6t of those monstrous bolts are plenty strong enough.

Finished up the axle seal last night and got that all buttoned up. Had one problem, I figured since we were that far in to it we would use a non-zipper boot, but couldn't get the caps off to get access to the king pins. Since the boot is really not in bad shape we decided to leave it and return the boot for a zippered boot. But all in all it wasn't too bad a job and it made me feel good to know everything in there is in good shape and no more leaks!

So there are 4 5 tons in the NE part of Albuquerque now,

Mine, Madclown (Ryan), Serial14 (Brian) and bbuck7777, we need a parade!

Madclown

Glad to hear you got the axle seal finished. My best friend has a 5-ton in the ne heights too and I still have my brother's 5-ton at my house, that makes 6 of us at least with these monsters here.

BillabongKong

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet!

Awesome Recovery Dukeman!
Best of luck with your new Beauty!
I have subscribed and will enjoy watching your progress.
For fear of hijacking your thread I sent you a PM
I would appreciate your advice on recovering Hawkers.
Feel free to post it here Im sure your expertise would be appreciated by all.
Again Best of Luck Frank

Dukeman

I'm having a problem with leak down after the truck is shut down. I've been doing a lot of reading about the brake/air system, but am having a hard time wrapping my head around all the parts. I'm going to start a new thread to see if I can get some answers. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to learn more.