• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She is finished!

slong

Yea. he's 19 years old. He also helped me restore a vintage BMW R-71 with sidecar.

Mark2X2

Pete,
Paint and stenciling looks great! Not trying to be critical, just wondering about stenciling "U.S. Army" on a decommissioned truck? Makes no difference to me, just would not want to get jambed up with the law.
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M101A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3) Rokons

Capt.Marion

Pete,
Paint and stenciling looks great! Not trying to be critical, just wondering about stenciling "U.S. Army" on a decommissioned truck? Makes no difference to me, just would not want to get jambed up with the law.
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M101A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3) Rokons
Lots of folks on here have such markings stenciled on their vehicles and haven't had any trouble... the important thing is to ALWAYS have insurance and registration with you just in case.

nhdiesel

Some states, such as New Hampshire, even allow you to register the truck using the painted on ID numbers, and not have to run a license plate. All normal antique vehicle rules apply.

I considered doing this for one of mine, but decided against it. The antique rules limit use too much, and I could just see it being a mess when a cop sees that I'm obviously not military and driving a truck with no plates. The paperwork would get me out of trouble, but it would be inconvenient. I will have to figure out a 24v license plate light though, to meet our local laws.

Still a great idea for someone just doing rallies and parades.

Jim

Armada

As Pete said I used Rapco paint it's top quality. It took 2 gallons to do the truck(inside, out, and underneath). It took about a week with the prep work and painting then stencils.
[thumbzup] Nice job! 24087 w/ the white stenciling is my favorite look on a deuce.
And you really only used just 2 gallons of paint for the entire truck? Did you thin more than 2:1 and apply just one coat? I can just barely get 2 coats on everything except the inside of the cab and inside of the box with 2 gallons. That's with a hard top though.

Last edited:

slong

Rapco says to thin 25%. I even have a small amont left over. I put two coats on plus my troops seats got three.

GoHot229

Man thats really looking good. When you sprayed the stencils did it go well, was there any drift or not so perfect edges? I'v been following your progress now for a couple weeks, the first I saw your post, and am going to follow your lead on this one. Man what a difference, night and day. Another reason to stay stock......

slong

The stencils were cut from vinyl. I have a vinyl cutter at my disposal so it saved me money so that I didn't have to buy any. The stencils have an adhesive on the back that holds them in place. After I put them in position I used a plastic squeegee to make sure all the surfaces were down. So that you don't have any bleed under.

JCKnife

Gorgeous! So you didn't have to replace any body parts sounds like?

What about prep underneath?

Thanks for sharing.

slong

Like I said earlier the truck was in pretty good shape. Most of the loose rust was removed with wire wheel in a drill. Then I primed with a rattle can primer. The heave rust an loose paint were removed with a needle scalier.

Sevensteps

GREAT job...Stencils always finish a job...

As I told Pete in a PM, FANTASTIC project...I have followed this paint job as well and Slong also did a fantastic job of painting and narrating this...

I am 70 miles west of both of them and hope to have my 67 AM general looking this good, (If I can get off work to do it and can convince one of them to do it for me for a price)..:cry:

It's good to have a job though....

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That Sir is a project well done and one to be proud of!

Thank you for the progress pics and especially the "she's done" pics.

I guess our group is gonna have to stop relying on the "stand off" trucks?:roll: