• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She never let me down(1009)

choll

I have posted some of my travel stories he on SS but here is another one. I have driven my 1009 all across this great country. Seattle to NJ, Vegas to Chicago etc never left me on the side of the road. She is well maintained and cared for, last year I accepted a contract in the Dominican Republic. So rather than putting her in storage my brother in NJ wanted it to tow around his jet ski. I thought what a good idea, I wouldn't need to rent a car when I visited him and my mother. Well on May 30th 2013 I left Vegas for the trip to NJ. All was going well until June 2nd when i received a call from the police dept that I retired from that my brother, the fire chief, had died in the line of duty I was in Memphis Tn.
The mad dash was now on to get home to my parents. I drove the 1009 had as you can imagine. Stopped for fuel and noticed an oil leak at the head. Checked water and oil to see how bad it was, no oil in water no water in oil. I top off oil and go. I drive a few more hours and a oil line blows and drains all the oil from the motor in about 30 seconds. I think no problem I carry many extra parts so I pull out the extra oil line and replace it after waiting an hour for the truck to cool down. I put in the oil and I am on my way, covered in diesel oil both me and the truck. During the next few hours of driving the motor just does not sound the same. When I stop to try to get the next morning there is a puddle of oil under the truck. I put more oil in off I go for the final 350 miles. The truck doesn't sound right, I stop and check everything but it all checks ok. I finally get home and do the funeral.
A few days later I go to put the truck in storage at a friends house. It really gave me a hard time starting but it finally started. Fast forward 3 months I come home for a visit. I try to start the truck no go, a starter bolt even broke during this try. I give up and have a mechanic tow it to his place as I need to get back to the DR.
He calls me later and says the motor is shot. Like the true solider she was, she didn't take her last breath until she knew I was safe at home!! 169,457 miles on the motor The last ride she was rode HARD and put away wet.
Fast forward to today, the mechanic called and she has here new/old motor in and going on a test ride tomorrow. Just in time for my visit to NJ next week!
helmet.jpgMy brothers helmet and his Manhattan. 2 months prior he just retired from Air Force Reserve as a Full Bird.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im sorry for your loss.

I feel the same about my M35A2... I feel like it will never let me down and I am always taking good care of it.

What exactly let lose in your truck to make the engine bad? Did it dump all the oil and spin a bearing? I just replaced an oil line on my truck that could have done the same thing. It did not look to be in the best shape so I replaced it. Good PM. I put 30,000 miles so far on my multifuel.

Mg84648

I too am sorry for your loss.
I think people often forget or take for granted that these vehicles we are driving have had long lives and can tell stories about what they have done or where they have been. We can certainly gain an attachment to these vehicles. A lot of us have driven vehicles like these or in some cases the exact vehicles in service to our country years ago. These experiences add to the overall attachment.
You obviously have a great respect and appreciation for you MV and it shows. This can be an added chapter to your MV's historic journey. And remember, as long as you take care her and do your part, the old war horse will do hers and take care of you.

choll

Quick update, the motor that was just put in is now dead he said something about pistons. The trek begins to locate another one.

Jeepsinker

Member TXfirefighter has, or had another good motor that he got from me. He has been trying to sell it recently. On the other hand, I have a 6.5 with turbo you could probably use if you don't mind swapping some parts out off of your old motor. It won't work in its current configuration for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks