• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She saved my life

GM-M1008

I had my m1008 parked for a little more than a week so I decided to take it for a ride, well the least to say it was her last ride. I was coming up a hill loaded with scrap metal and the road turns at the top well I didn't have steering to make the turn and did not have front brakes but my back brakes locked up and I ended up side swiping one tree and head on with the other one. I believe if I was not driving this truck and it happened I would probably be dead. The tree broke the front cross member off pushed it back pushed the motor/trans/x-case back which bent the frame and also split the front bumper in two. The cab was pushed in from the back because the metal coming forward. I bent the steering wheel and bent the shift for the trans and my knees pushed the dash in.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you ok?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, glad your doing that well!

Any idea why the front brakes didn't work? Maybe the steering was nonfunctioning as well because you lost a belt on the powersteering pump(also runs the brake boost)

That pipe against your seat-back looks like it could have been much worse for you.

How fast were you going?

GM-M1008

Me, my dad, and a friend were looking at the truck and all agree it delt with the hydro system on it because I didn't have steering and the brake pedal didn't want to move and the lid to the master was missing and the front part had no fluid in it

ralbelt

Sorry about your truck ,but glad you are Ok. I worry about a catastrophic failure of the braking and or steering system on these 25 year old trucks and am constantly trying to do preventive maintenance.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very glad that you are ok and not seriously hurt.

However it sounds like a little PM or at least popping the hood and looking around prior to used the truck might have prevented it all together. Even though it is basically just a 1980's pickup, it is still a MV. Pretrips should be manditory practice.

A more fitting title might be she almost took my life, since it was a mechanical failure that compounded the original problem.

Last edited:

100acre

My dad was against me buying one of these truck because " It doesn't have an air bag" . I don't think they really need one besides when they deploy they hurt pretty bad too. Most vehicles these days are made of plastic anyway. Glad you are still with us.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I am very glad that you are ok and not seriously hurt.

However it sounds like a little PM or at least popping the hood and looking around prior to used the truck might have prevented it all together. Even though it is basically just a 1980's pickup, it is still a MV. Pretrips should be manditory practice.

A more fitting title might be she almost took my life, since it was a mechanical failure that compounded the original problem.
Im glad someone said it. your praising something that caused the wreck! glad your ok!