• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She won't start in the cold!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flame heater can be tested in the open as shown below.
The spark plug produces a "continuous" spark as long as the switch is held in the "on" position. The driver is a vibrator type, relying on capacitor, a coil and a relay for proper operation.

Attachments

Lax

cranetruck,
I have confirmed that I am getting good fuel to the spark plug but no spark at the plug so the logical question is how do I start at the plug and work backwards to find out where the electricity is being stopped or maybe not even started. I don't know how to check where the power is coming from or how to check the capacitor, the coil or relay. Those are my questions now along with where is the "fuse box" and can I check the above with a simple amp meter? Thank you.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These diagrams should help in your troubleshooting.
The spark plug is grounded via the shielding of the plug/wire harness and can be checked by holding it in the air. The gap should be 1/10 of an inch.
Wire #55 supplies power to both the pump and the igniter unit. When turned on, the igniter unit will give off a sound from the rapidly switching relay within. The igniter unit is sealed.
Make sure the ground lug is connected to ground.
The fuel nozzle can be checked in the open as well and must produce a fine cone shaped spray pattern.
You may want to check out my article on this; MVM issue #99, Oct 2003...

Attachments

Last edited:

hklvette

cranetruck,

I've found that the manifold spark plug can ground just fine through the intake elbow, as I replaced mine with an off-the-shelf spark plug and plug wire.

my 2cents

junkyardsniper

it worked ONECOOL70DEUCE

Well, one of my deuces never started very well. I would crank forever on it.

I just went outside and turned the power switch on and pulled the kill knob out and waited a few seconds and pushed it back in and pushed the start button. And it started right away!! I didn't even give it any fuel with the pedal!

I don't know why but it worked. Thanks, ONECOOL70DEUCE

Your Welcome, my Deuce hasn't had any more trouble since I replaced the batteries and changed the fuel filters. But when it's cold outside I do exactly as you just did and she'll fire right up much faster.

Cheers,

OneCool70Deuce:grd:

Flyingvan911

My deuce takes a little cranking to fire up. I will try pulling the stop handle as suggested and see what happens. I will also check my spark. The heater doesn't seem to make much of a difference when cranking but does inject fuel. The nozzle is new and when the engine is running, the RPM's jump a little when i hit the heater switch. I only do it for a fraction of a secong though.

Lax

Well its been a while and I've had lots of suggestions about getting my Deuce to start in the cold. After many experiments with none working I went to Plan E, F or G. I installed an ether cold starting kit by Kat's Kat's and it works GREAT!! Since I hate when people post about work they do and don't post pictures for us to see I have posted some for you.

I could NEVER get my Deuce started below about 30 degrees without cranking forever usually running down batteries in the process. I changed all the filters, checked fuel pressure, took everyone's advice and nothing worked. The ether kit was real cheap and when I tried it after not starting since September and it being 5 degrees out the truck fired right up and was idling in about 30 seconds. It was great and I should have done it long ago. I hope this helps everyone that can't get their big boys going very easy in the winter months. Thanks everyone for your help in the past.

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great, I've been wondering where I can get the ether cans for my truck. It already has the ether set-up . . . I just need to get one of the cans. Do you think theirs would fit? . . . or does someone know where I can get an standard issue one?

Lax

That's great, I've been wondering where I can get the ether cans for my truck. It already has the ether set-up . . . I just need to get one of the cans. Do you think theirs would fit? . . . or does someone know where I can get an standard issue one?
LowTec,
Glad I could help. Although the system I installed was made by Kats the ether tanks I got were from ZeroStart. I am pretty sure all the systems use a standard thread on the tanks so all SHOULD fit. Famous last words I know. Napa did indeed have the takes but it took them a little time to find the part number so don't give up. Good luck!

You will love being able to start your truck in less then 10 seconds in ANY temperature.

Lax

I think I paid about $48.00 ea. for them so that may be a pretty good price. I bought two at the time although if they don't leak it looks like one tank should last years and years.

The system only allows just a "sniff or two" of ether per pull and it is just enough to get the engine fired up. After that it's on it's own which I think is a perfect system. Not to much chance of blowing anything up unless you try to...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks