• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sheet metal work ....Any ideas? has anyone done this?

heywood

My deuce has some rust in the bed wall right behind the cab .
I want to cut this bad metal out and replace it before I paint the Deuce.
I dont have any way to remove the bed completlety.

I'm thinking about dissconnecting the bed and sliding it back far enough to get enough access to the forward wall to cut and weld in the new wall.
Has any one tried this approach?
I think I need to slide it back about 5-7 feet .
Any Ideas?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No personal experience, but people here have pulled their bed for a variety of reasons with different methods. You need to support the overhang with items of appropriate height; I believe someone used steel barrels. Chain the rear of the bed to a tree and move the truck forward. I can see a dicey moment if you accidentally tilt the bed, but as long as it stays flat on the frame, the guide brackets on it should let is slide back fairly easily.

I was thinking about the same issue of removing the bed without a lift device. My thought was to block up the bed up using concrete blocks and tightly wedge the top. Then let enough air out of the tires to drop the frame a couple inches and pull the truck forward. "Should" work", provided it's on a level surface like concrete.

heywood

Thank cattlerepairman
i thought it would work just needed someone else to tell me im not crazy.
ill support the rear as you advised and probaly use binders to chain the front of the bed to the frame afte it is slid back.

Tlauden

May I suggest adding some counterweight in the front of the bed if you use the sliding method. Not sure how much you would need to "balance the bed". I guess it would depend on how far back you slide it.

jdr2710

When I installed the dump hoist on mine I had to slide it back a bit to reach my lift (the entry door is too short to get all the way in) so I used a bottle jack to lift the bed a little and put 3/4" PVC pipe underneath as rollers on both sides, front and back. The PCV worked ok initially, but after it had sat for a few hours it managed to flatten the pipe, so I switched to short pieces of 3/4 steel gas pipe. The gas pipe worked great and I was able to roll it back the few feet I needed to line up in my lift. When I re-installed with the dump hoist I needed some extra height to accommodate the hoist, so I used a 6" round wooden fence posts as the rollers, which also worked fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks