• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelf life of DOT 5

Awesome Possum

What is the shelf life of unopened gallon of DOT 5 brake fluid. I just got a gallon of NOS, dated 1994. Is it safe to use? (And yes, I did search and couldn't find anything.)

flyusn99

Dot-5

As long as the cap is on it should last for longer than you and I will ever be around. Since its silicone it doesn't attract moisture but once the cap is off there's no telling what else could end up in there. I've used DOT-5 in new un-opened cans with dates all the way back to the 1970's and had no issues.. Good luck.

James

AIE1

Does anyone have the Lot number or contact number of the bad lot of DOT-5 silicone fluid that was IDed by the Gov and put out in a safety memo years ago??
TIA

Disregard, I found it, dated June 1997, "Report of Contaminated Brake Fluid, Silicone, NSN 9510-01-102-9455, DLA 400-87-C-5392, All Lots, DOW Corning Corp". Doing a brake job on the duce and found a few gallon jugs of the silicone DOT-5 purchased years ago at Aberdeen Show. The message goes on to say "all subject brake fluid manufactured prior to Jan 88, all manufacturers is considered to be unsatisfactory and should be disposed of"
Cheers!

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, but you have to remember the Govt has more money than sense. We turn in expired HAZMAT now that we used to be able to extend at the unit level but now it's "order new stuff". As long as there aren't any contaminates it will be good.

Rusty nuts

I just buy fresh fluid. $73 for 12 a 12oz bottles free shipping. Easy to pour from small bottles than a gallon can and handy to keep a couple in the truck.

AIE1

Rusty, I'm with you, the lot I have that was unopened has chunks in it, ran it through a paint strainer. Dow Corning batch 1gal container purchased at a show. With an AVN and Ordnance background, I agree the gov't does have deeper pockets, but every Safety of Use message I ever got usually ment some joe ran into a problem and passed it up the chain of command. After all the wheel cylinders ,flex brake lines I just replaced along with new seal & some bearings, think I will bite the bullet and purchase new fluid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks