• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter identity

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the van that is permanently attached to a M1079. Ladder is a two man lift to place on the back of van.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The aluminum ladders aren't that bad to move around, or that fella is doing the work of two men.

I've been told that I do the work of three men: Moe, Larry, and Curly :)

coachgeo

Are there holes drilled for it or was special brackets made?
S280 goes in bed... that box used in several configurations on various trucks ... each with its own special brackets but can be duplicated without too much trouble.... see Sean Fillners videos youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEP6SA73nfECZWH6E4lkJJA

The box on the M1079 had special brackets..... captured spring mount front end... fixed mount rear end... no bed on that model at all. not hard to duplicate either. Captured spring mounts can be purchased from places that build or sell parts for water tanker trucks. M1079 box little longer.

Last edited:

pontiac62

Are the Vans still available?
The s-280 shelter are a lot more plentiful easy to get ahold of.

I’ve seen a few trucks M1079 Sold without the vans. Haven’t seen those come up in auction though. The older 109 vans have. Not sure what they did with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a spare box if you're looking to build. As for weight I believe they're closer to 5000 but I can check the data plate tomorrow.

aleigh

S280 goes in bed... that box used in several configurations on various trucks ... each with its own special brackets but can be duplicated without too much trouble.... see Sean Fillners videos youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEP6SA73nfECZWH6E4lkJJA
That guy has done a lot of good work and I admire his progress but I can't bring myself to love how he made the brackets, especially the part where he drills through the bed of the truck around the pockets to install them. The original bracket was a flat piece of plate with some square tube welded on that fit into the pockets. This served the double purpose of putting a small gap between the shelter and the bed. This seems like a much better design, well engineered, easy to fabricate, and, keeps the truck original without drilling holes in it...

pontiac62

That guy has done a lot of good work and I admire his progress but I can't bring myself to love how he made the brackets, especially the part where he drills through the bed of the truck around the pockets to install them. The original bracket was a flat piece of plate with some square tube welded on that fit into the pockets. This served the double purpose of putting a small gap between the shelter and the bed. This seems like a much better design, well engineered, easy to fabricate, and, keeps the truck original without drilling holes in it...
I watch his build on a regular basis. Granted some of the stuff he does or the way he does it might make you shake your head. Why? Personally I would have never thought of using tie down chains instead of the military cable tie down system.

My take on it is a few things.

1. Basically show someone that is working on a budget how that can get that ac in the cab or habitat. May not be the right way or most efficient , but he got ac in the cab. Don’t recall if he used it while rolling down the road though. He did install a plan b for cooling down the cab while goin down the road by installing those horse vents. He is continually upgrading the systems.

2. This is your truck do what you want to it. Which he does say know an again. His truck is like one big experiment and toy which they are in private civilian hands that are not using these commercially. What does the military do hack the truck if they need a particular mission capable truck. You wouldn’t have all these gun trucks or war wagons that people like to replicate.

One good example of this is after WW2 the Philippine had all these surplus us army jeeps. What did they do turn them into mass transit for the public to use to get around town. Intro the jeepney. They took the base Jeep stretched it added bench seating on both sides. Steps out the back so your customer can get in an out. Kinda a mini troop carrier. Anyway I only use that as an example cause I love jeepneys an find them fascinating. The navy guys will know what I’m talking about but may not love them as much as I do.

3. If you look hard enough, do research or think outside the box. you can find similar parts for less. That’s the one the reason for the sticky’s at the top of the sections right.

Think I’ve gone past my motto. Tear it apart as you see fit. Just ones opinion. Returning to the sidelines to further learn from everyone’s post.

Good day gentlemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks