• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shelter question

captianworkbench

First off, I was not exactly sure where to post this, so if I am in the wrong category please pardon the error.

I have begun to look at shelters that will fit a regular truck bed. I have "inherited" an F-250 with a long bed but have eventual plans to acquire a CUCV.

I am becoming familiar with the different shelters and it seems the S-250 would be the most common and easy to find.

In searching threads I have heard mention of the S-280 in regards to pickups, but from what I have read the S-280 is basically a box... kind of like a 20ft container... and is designed to sit in the bed of a deuce. Is this correct or have I read something incorrect?

Secondly, I was looking on gov liquidation at different shelters, and saw some that were obviously S-250 shelters. There were also some that looked like S-250 shelters (from all I know) but the listing said that the exterior length was 110 inches instead of 86 inches. Is this just a different version or a different unit all together?

The longer shelter seemed interesting because with the long bed on my current truck the 110" would offer more room if I were to use it as a camper.

Thoughts, comments, arguments????

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, the s280 is meant for a deuce or 5ton bed, it will not be compatible with a pickup.

There is a miriad of different shelters and sizes. I believe the longer ones are made for the hmmwvs.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The S-250 will be your best bet.
Will work on the Ford and will drop right in a CUCV M1028.

Seems like no two shelters are configured the same.
Lots of great camper build threads in here with the S-250.

Good luck