• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sheriff's deuce

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Sheriff

This is probably a GSA thing. As I understand it from my visits from work and personal state or local agancies have to return Gov. surplus to GSA for sale these days instead of the old direct sales. I assume if they can sell it to another agency then GSA or the Gov. does not get a cut of the money.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

LESO is the program where Law Enforcement Agencies can acquire DOD surplus for their use. Our agency has I think 3 deuces, 2 M813, a CUCV, an HMMWV, water buffalo, rough terrain fork lift and an unknown genset on an M200 trailer. Just the other day I saw an M172 lowboy all civilianized out too. We probably have more but the Sgt that runs that won't let me near his trucks.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Kenny:
Get him to join the Steel Soldiers and he will be dragging them up to visit Clinto in no time. I would think that as long as the Sheriffs department met the EUC guidelines they could sell them as long as funds are used according to auditing GAP.

DMgunn

Here, and I'll assume nationwide, much surplus property is available free (as grants) to various law enforcement agencies. The LE agency needs to use the item for, IIRC, 4 years. After that, if it is no longer needed, it can be auctioned off to the public (as long as it is legal for civilian use in the first place). This is to ensure that the property is used legitimately. Otherwise, I could just imagine a not-so-honest LEO obtaining a HUMVEE free, then immediately selling it to himself for a couple hundred bucks.......

zak

Our County's Sheriffs Dept outfits the boot camp prisoners in surplus uniforms, boots and canteens. It used to transport them in three dueces to do outside work parties. I'm not sure if they still use the two remaining trucks for this or not. One was stolen from a comercial repair place and stripped. It was recovered and was in the same auction that I bought the dump from. The dump was hardly used because they mostly just transported the prisoners. The surplus came from Selfridge Air Force Base. The guy who used to get the surplus once told me that he would go there and see what was available and put his name on it. Then after
a period of time if no federal agency wanted it, it was the local governments turn. If no local government wanted the stuff it was auctioned off. My dump had a Michigan title so I don't know why they didn't have to return it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep for most items it goes 30 days for military, 30 days for local, state, federal, and 30 days for donation to registered non-profit agencies. If a non-profit wants to use the item in the US, they have to go through their state agency for excess and surplus property and it will cost them. If it is going overseas for humanitarian relief, it has to go through a program managed by USAID.

In the old days the state and local could take it from DRMO keep it for a year and then sell it. Unfortunately, some cities were doing just that with an ever growing amount of equipment and starting to turn a profit at the expense of affecting the sales at DRMO.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The way I happened onto these photos was from a friend at work that knows I'm a truck-nut, deuce driver, SS, (all the same). He sent them to me via e-mail, and when I saw that the truck was, "available," I called the Wood County Sheriffs Department to inquire about it. I guess I kept saying the words, "for sale" in my discussion with the lady, and every time I said the words, "for sale," she corrected me by saying, "it has to be transferred! It's not for sale!" I really didn't understand at the time, but I do now.

Well, anyway, I assume it has a happy home and a happy owner. It's not a bad looking deuce.

I was down at Dauphin Island, MS a year or so ago. Their PD has a deuce for high water issues. They need it!

JeepMan

A local highway supervisor here said they were required to keep an item for 18 months than they could sell it.
He bought a special use truck for a little of nothing and the township made a good dollar on it at the sale.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Sherrif Dept. aquired 2 ex MP CUCV blazers at no cost to the county. It was through a Homeland security program.
When and if they decide to dispose of them,(after a minimum amount of time, 18 months I think) the county can auction them off, the same as any other of their equipment.
Different program than the township fire dept, which has some trucks that were issued through the Forest Service, those trucks can not be sold, they are the ones that end up on GSA auctions.

BillIdaho

I happen to be the DRMO officer for our agency. We have an M113 (that had about 6000 miles on it,like new!), and a low-boy trailer with a 5 ton tractor to pull it with. All painted white with our county star and logo. The SWAT team (of which I am a sniper on) gets it for,shall-we-say, non-compliant people.

lenz1079

LESO is great.. im the coroner in an Illinois county and i just drove mine off the Peoria ANG base thursday Nov.9th. i have it in reserve for disasters....... like if i run out of firewood or my wife gets the car stuck......im really saving it for post apocalypic vacationing. I thought that it was insane they gave me this truck. I requested it on tuesday. it wasnt insane, it was free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks