• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sheriff's Office wants to trade Demil Code Q6 5 ton

Barron

Need some help, Sheriff's office wants to trade M923 5 ton for some FM radios I donated for their airplane. I think the M923 was from DRMO to an LEA on a Demil code Q6 but they want to trade it to me for the radios. Any idea if this is doable? Do we need an EUC, or get an SF97 somewhere? The radios are worth around 15K, and the 923 is not all that nice, but does have a hardtop. I wouldn't want the 5 ton unless I could get a title. They are cash strapped and I'm trying to help them out.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
They probably got it prior to it going to GL. That would mean its not quite "kosher" to trade. If they don't have a title, I would pass. I know your trying to help, but you risk the feds coming and taking said truck from you.

papercu

It's different for each state, here in Ga. the Dept. has to keep it for X amount of years then they can sell or trade. The ones I've done came with title.
FYI A SF 97 would be in the dept name and they would use it to get them a title then the title would be signed over to you. You wouldn't need a euc but all requirement will still apply to you. Wayne

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Need some help, Sheriff's office wants to trade M923 5 ton for some FM radios I donated for their airplane. I think the M923 was from DRMO to an LEA on a Demil code Q6 but they want to trade it to me for the radios. Any idea if this is doable? Do we need an EUC, or get an SF97 somewhere? The radios are worth around 15K, and the 923 is not all that nice, but does have a hardtop. I wouldn't want the 5 ton unless I could get a title. They are cash strapped and I'm trying to help them out.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

all of our LESO/LEA/DRMO trucks have to go back to "the man" after we are done w/them.

rsbanker

Agreed. If this rig got released to the State/County properly, I would expect GSA to want to step in and handle the release of the property to the public. If the SO can guarantee a SF97 then I might change my tune, but even then I'd expect the SF97 to come from a GSA property manager and they are not inclined to support one-off deals such as this.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barron, please add your state to your location(site requirement). And please try to post in the appropriate forum also.

JeepMan

I've heard from Hgwy Depatmnt people that they can 'buy' these vehicles VERY cheap directly from the gov't. Here they have to keep them for so many months I'm told then they can sell them. I think in this situation, THEY'D be getting the better end of the bargin. If they need radios taht bad I'm sure they can apply under different organizations within the gov't (mainly FEMA or HomeLand Security) to get what they need. Think it's just a matter of someone not knowing how. IF you do trade though, make sure you get the right paperwork -- --

1958 M274

There are many different types of Federal Excess Property Programs where LE agencies, fire departments, municipalities, etc. can acquire vehicles and other equipment for their use. They vary from state to state, but in my experience, there are two basic ways that property can be acquired.

Sometimes they acquire property on loan from the government. It must be returned when the user no longer has a need for it. This is where many of the vehicles that are sold through GSA auctions come from.

It is possible, especially if acquired in the last several years, that the Sheriff's Office actually purchased and owns the truck in question. Generally when an eligible organization purchases excess property at a discounted price, they have a certain amount of time (a year, for example) to make any necessary repairs or modifications to put the item (truck, in this case) in service. Once in service, it must remain in service for a certain time (two years, for example) before they can dispose of it.

Once again, there are many different property programs where they can acquire vehicles and other equipment. As long as they actually purchased and own the vehicle, and have had it in service for the appropriate amount of time (if required under the program they acquired it from), you should be good to go.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in Michigan
Our sheriffs dept has been getting vehicles (MV's) free, the only stipulation is they keep them 2 years before
they can sell them. They sold a M1009 last year, buyer got a title.
per the local RFD, any vehicles they get through the DNR no longer are considered "on loan" and can be sold after 2 years.
Don't know all the details, perhaps it has something to do with Homeland Security as we are technically a border state and are on the coast. ( Hey, Lake Huron looks like an ocean from the shore)

Tlauden

Check that everything is legit first. and that they can trade/sell it legally... We have the same situation at our firehouse, we have 3 military trucks but only 1 is "ours" that we can sell if we would like to. the other two gotta go back to forestry..

Barron

Thanks to all for the excellent advice. We're trying to determine how long they've had the unit, and go from there, but a paperwork review will be underway. It needs a set of batteries as well.

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum section.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks