• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sherwin Williams CARC paint Type 2

Numbers

Wonderful, thanks for the input on SHerwin Williams. THey don't have a local supplier (to my knowledge and searching capabilities) for Gilllespie Coatings. This might be a cheaper route to go. Anyone have a few close ups of a job done with the Sherwin Williams?

Bighurt

Just to bring this back to life a bit I called them today....

Available at a shocking $118 a gallon! No thanks I'll use the other stuff.

The guy did say I could get it significantly cheaper with a national account.

zout

I paid $89.15 per gallon for the new SW CARC.
Arond Atlants the facility in Lithia Springs carries it and their number is 770-944-8880.

My hardtop is almost done and my overhead cab rack is nearly done - these will get sprayed with the 1/2 gallon I have left.
It sprays great and use the best respirator you can lay your hands on.

SW did not ship it as I had it picked up as we are a haz mat hauler, one of local drivers picked it up for me saving me shipping costs.

I re-sprayed the box racks and ladders and tanks as the Racpco stuff was too olive green and shinny for my likings.

bansley

Hi can anybody give me part numbers for a camo scheme on a 85 m1008 ?Either sherwin williams or factory mil spec numbers. My guy at sw isnt really fimiliar with carc mil paints. Thanks, Brian

ken326@yahoo.com

painting

reading all this about what paint to use now any advise on how to do the camo pattern. Ive never painted anything other than apray can looking to paint my m35-a3 any and all advise greatly appreciated. went to a few local body shops to get prices on painting it but they said no way.
thanks

bansley

sherwin williams got me the carc paint codes anfd formula numbers but said they can only sell it to government shops? any body have trouble with this . down side i can get about 50% off at this location . He said he can make it in several other lines of paint but semi gloss is the best he can do.... kinda defeats the purpose of camo ! Thanks, Brian

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody have first hand knowledge - or even a good educated guess....

How well will SW CARC cover standard high-gloss Fire Engine Red?

Will Sanding and Priming be necessary? (It was originally High-Gloss but has faded quite a bit in the Texas sun.)

Thanks in advance for the technical assistance.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SW works the best

Hi all , popacom here to put my 2cents in. I work for a Govt. contractor ,and
one of the many things I've been involved with at work is painting or to be politically
correct "coating "things with CARC coatings. We repainted over a 150 FLA HUMV's
for the FLRC Fort Drum and several for the 101st Abn. at Fort Campbell Ky. and we use it on all the castings we build and refurb. on the VIC-1 and VIC-2 intercoms we work
with as this is our specialty. We used to use the solvent based Zenthane CARC however the waterborne coatings are much less of a hassle and much safer.
You must first understand that coatings(paint) is a solid and the water or solvent is basically a transfer medium to get the color to what you are coating,solvents are the danger component as they tend to attack the nervous system ,whereas the waterborne system the main thing to be concerned with is the solids. I personally
believe you should wear a painters coverall suit(usually made of Tyvek )and relatively
inexpensive ,a good "FULL FACE" respirator and throwaway rubber gloves to minimize
skin contact. We use DeVelbis gravity fed HVLP millenium guns for production but
less expensive version would probably do OK for one or two big jobs before giving less than satisfactory results,problems from using a gun that does not have a hardened needle arose with us and we were told of the guns we now use have cured
the problem of the CARC coatings wearing away the needles(CARC is very abrasive)
I am speculating here but speaking from my own observations.
All this said use the same normal precautions as any other spray job and youshould have no problems with the waterborne CARC ,I will warn you however
follow the mixing ratio's to the tee ,get some mix cups at your supply house and
mix to the ratio given,a little dash of this and that and you will have a mess on your hands,as the amount of H2o used is very critical ,so if you are painting in hi-humidity take it in acct. as it WILL change flash time. hope I have helped here.

Thanks popacom / BILL KAGIN III now...:grd:

Crapgame

Sherwin Williams Chem Coatings Div
1501 West Evans Ave
Denver, CO 80223
(303) 935-3553

Is sitting on about a hundred gallons of the low VOC CARC 383 F93G104, single gallons were $87.66, and they will ship for about $20/gallon.

motormayhem

Does anyone know if Milspec 64159 tan is the right stuff for a tan painted M1009. Price from shewin williams is $87/gal (part A)+ $54 (part B).

Hi all , popacom here to put my 2cents in. I work for a Govt. contractor ,and
one of the many things I've been involved with at work is painting or to be politically
correct "coating "things with CARC coatings. We repainted over a 150 FLA HUMV's
for the FLRC Fort Drum and several for the 101st Abn. at Fort Campbell Ky. and we use it on all the castings we build and refurb. on the VIC-1 and VIC-2 intercoms we work
with as this is our specialty. We used to use the solvent based Zenthane CARC however the waterborne coatings are much less of a hassle and much safer.
You must first understand that coatings(paint) is a solid and the water or solvent is basically a transfer medium to get the color to what you are coating,solvents are the danger component as they tend to attack the nervous system ,whereas the waterborne system the main thing to be concerned with is the solids. I personally
believe you should wear a painters coverall suit(usually made of Tyvek )and relatively
inexpensive ,a good "FULL FACE" respirator and throwaway rubber gloves to minimize
skin contact. We use DeVelbis gravity fed HVLP millenium guns for production but
less expensive version would probably do OK for one or two big jobs before giving less than satisfactory results,problems from using a gun that does not have a hardened needle arose with us and we were told of the guns we now use have cured
the problem of the CARC coatings wearing away the needles(CARC is very abrasive)
I am speculating here but speaking from my own observations.
All this said use the same normal precautions as any other spray job and youshould have no problems with the waterborne CARC ,I will warn you however
follow the mixing ratio's to the tee ,get some mix cups at your supply house and
mix to the ratio given,a little dash of this and that and you will have a mess on your hands,as the amount of H2o used is very critical ,so if you are painting in hi-humidity take it in acct. as it WILL change flash time. hope I have helped here.

Thanks popacom / BILL KAGIN III now...:grd:

Hey yall hes defintely tellin the truth i hear the painters where i work complainin all the time lol hes got the whole thing down pat thats for sure Popacoma i work over aboard camplejeune DoD employee :] im blaster im the one thats starts the whole process

Crapgame

Which one of you Fartknockers bought out the CARC 383 Green from Denver? lol I needed a gallon for my Iltis and 1/4t trailer but it was gone. Funny, it sat there for almost 14 months and then Boom gone.

I was told there is now a single component low VOC Type III in use.