• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shift Lever Interference

touringfordor

I have a '70 M35A2, and when I purchased it the xfer case shift lever wobbled around a LOT when in high, and the transmission shift lever would hit it when shifting into 1. I finally took it apart and shimmed up the xfer case shift lever so it stays put. I found that if I shimmed the right side if the xfer case lever, it still hits the gear shift head on making 1 unusable. If I shim the left side of the xfer case lever, the right side of the gear shift rubs the left side of the lever in 1, then clears the lever on the right in 2 and 3. It driveable, but it just doesn't seem right.

Is it possible the gear lever is bent? I really don't know where it should be in relation to the xfer case lever.

There is always a chance of things being bent. I'd suggest though you post a couple pictures so people could see the problem. ( I could not find any good shots of the shift or I'd post something from my truck. )

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two different transmission shift levers.

I have a few trucks that with touch occasionally.

The throw adjustment on the t-case makes a difference too.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My t-case shift lever on one of my trucks has a fair amount of slop to it and it will contact my trans shifter from time to time. I just live with it but it could stand to be tightened up. I think you'd be better served putting a bushing on the shaft to take up slack than you would trying to shim the sides.

touringfordor

I agree, a bushing would be a better repair. I was going quick and dirty getting ready for a Memorial Day outing, so I went with washers. It looks like there would still be interference if it were re-bushed. I'll get some pics this weekend.

FormerNewMVGuy

My 813A1 , the transmission stick will make contact with the transfer stick in high and trans in 1st gear. But I usually start out in second low.

touringfordor

My 813A1 , the transmission stick will make contact with the transfer stick in high and trans in 1st gear. But I usually start out in second low.
That brings up an interesting question - how do most of you start out? I start an empty truck in first High. (Hence the annoyance of the interference.) But thinking back to my trucks on the farm with a "5 and 2" I always started an empty truck in low axle, went through all 5, then shifted the axle to high. If the truck was loaded I would "split shift" all the way through.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I start in first high when empty or lightly loaded. When loaded heavy I start out in low first, run through all the gears in low, and then split shift fourth and fifth.

w3azel

I always shift high 2 and up. Truck doesn't seem to mind and it pulls right out of it and I'm right into third within a 100'. I tried split shifting and my transfer case didn't like it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks