• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shift pattern?

Ford Mechanic

i was wondering what shift pattern ya'll normally used when driving ?
for examble do you only use high range if your unloaded driving around town?
or do you start in low shift 1-5 then shift to high and go 4-5? it seems in the manual that you could do it this way, i was just unsure if anyone actually did or if you had problems from doing it this way?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's start with proper usage of your shift key!

Deucenut

When unloaded I use high range and gears 1-5. I've tried starting in second but it is a bit hard on the clutch so I don't do it unless I am on a good down hill, and I mean a GOOD down hill.

turbovr6jetta

I dont like 1st. I actually go 3rd low, rev her up a bit and right into 3rd high. Its a bit of a lug but not really that bad. If Im on a hill I run 2nd low into 2nd high. It "flows" way better than 1st to 2nd in my truck.

barefootin

Like others have said, Hi 1-5 unless really loaded. I have enough "down hill" intersections near me that I can actually start in second most of the time. I hold back from the intersection a few feet and watch the opposing signal light, I release the brake and she'll roll forward fast enough that clutch slipping isn't nessesary. I always let up on the brake after stopped. If I roll, she goes in 2nd. If she doesn't, I take off in 1st.