• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shifter came off for the second time

quadfourgtz

Okay this makes the second time in as many outtings that the (beep) shifter level has come off. First time was several weeks ago, when I took it to work. I was about 1/2 mile away when it popped off. I luckily had a good place to pull off. I was able to get a few tools from a gym and put it back on and tightened it down, pretty **** tight.

I took it out today after fixing, I hope, the leak at the hub. I'd just left Ace hardware when I felt it coming loose. I was trying to baby it and hold it down, but it still came off.

I can't understand why they machined the whole side of the shaft that the shifter slips on. If it would have just machined a rounded section out, the bolt would have to come out before the shifter could work it's way off.

I assume I will be drilling and tapping the shifter for a set screw before the next trip.

Well there was some good news. I think I at least may have fixed the leak and the hub wasn't getting hot, so the torquing of the spindle nuts must have been okay.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
clintogf had a truck that the lever kept coming off. I eventually had to remove it and using a cutoff wheel, I made the slot larger in the base of the lever so that when the bolt and nut were tightened, the lever was able to clamp onto the shift tower tighter.

It worked very well for thousands of miles afterward.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks