• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shifter linkage ??

KenzMan

I have an old gas deuce with the sprag type transfer and I am in the process of converting the engine to a small block chev . I am keeping the spicer transmission and before I took it out I got some measurements and looked at it working with the transfer . Now that I have put the transmission back in , where it belongs ( or at least damn close but not secured in the frame ) it seems as though the shifter shaft in the transmission has too much travel for the transfer 's sprag shifter shaft . When shifted into reverse the last bit of travel starts to push the trans and when put into first the last bit of travel pulls the trans . This does not appear normal to me , I didn't examine the working of it close enough prior to removal of the tranny either I guess . If someone knows the procedure for setting the sprag linkage up or knows of literature I can look at I would be very thankful .

KenzMan

I also had the sprag assmebly off the transfer as the forward sprag was hit and miss . I took it apart and cleaned everything and figured I would swap the two sprags around as I want my traction in forward more so than reverse . It's kind of difficult to see what is supposed to happen there as the shaft is spring loaded and I'm by myself looking at it . I am wondering also if anyone knows off hand if the forward sprag only engages in first gear ?, in neutral and all other forward gears the sprag shaft is about halfway in it's travel .
Thanks again .

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35 tranny to sprag TC shift linkage

See fig.1 of my post here
Did you clean/inspect/eventually adjust/re-lube assy#3
And... you do understand what lever #17 does...???

G.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....anyone knows off hand if the forward sprag only engages in first gear ?, in neutral and all other forward gears the sprag shaft is about halfway in it's travel .
Thanks again .
Just saw your new post! Find my answer in the before mentioned link.
By default forward sprag is operating for ALL forward gears... IF properly adjusted!

G.

KenzMan

Thanks for the reply guys , I could only save the first pic off the thread you left the link to Recovry so it's the only one I can read . Gringeltaube , assy #3 , I had no idea had a spring mechanism inside of as I don't have a manual , and sorry for not digging through previous threads guys but I am behind the 8 ball in a bad way here , snow is almost here and I am trying to gear this thing up . I thought when I watched everything moving when being shifted before the tranny was removed that the shift into 1st gear wasn't moving the linkage the way it is now , so seeing that diagram definitely switched the ol' light bulb on upstairs . Lever 17 , yes I see the job of that , so now hopefully this evening I can get everything working properly and then secure the drivetrain to the frame :-D . After reading that thread you left the link to ,I can't believe ppl are scrapping these transfercases , they may not be as good as the airshift but where I am these trucks are like hens teeth and if I have major trouble with tranny or transfer I'm going to end up paying through the nose for shipping to get something here to me .

KenzMan

While we're at it here , can I get replacement sprags ? I took it apart because the forward sprag wasn't engaging , when I dropped the fluid it resembled tar more so than oil . So I dropped the transfer and took the sprag assembly off the front cleaned everything up and just put a little tranny fluid on it for assembly while I was checking it out . The forward sprag started working fine , when I assembled everything back together to put back in the truck I used some 30w (cold) and then the sprag started acting funny again , not engaging immidiately but if I let it set for a couple of seconds it would then lock . Mind you the way I was turning things is not the way the truck will turn them whether that makes a difference or not . Since I am going to use this truck to move snow I then decided to take it all back apart and swap the sprags .

Last edited:

KenzMan

Well last night didn't go so good , I started cleaning the shifter linkage assembly (#3) and come to find out that it was bronzed all together in the end of the tube . Fired the torch up and melted the most of it away and managed to get it all apart . The rod is bent in all different directions , just an ugly mess . So now I don't really know what to do , make a new rod , or try to find a replacement . Should the rod have end play in the tube before the spring makes contact ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks