• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shifting Problem

Potomac Valley Organics

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All:

Dodge M880 1977. 31,000 miles.

Looking for help on a particular part, because it does not seem to be in the parts manual I have.

Problem is shifting. Cable on the valve body on the transmission appears loose. As a result of that (I suppose) the truck will not "think" its in park when the shifter is in park position. I followed the shifting linkage all the way down to the transmission and it connects to what I'm referring to as the valve body. That is, if someone sits in the truck and manipulates the shifter while I am under it, I can watch the link arm move. However, you cannot at this time change any gear on the truck.

It does not seem to me like its a problem interior to the transmission; it seems like a problem on this part I am describing but, since I can't find it in the parts manual, I don't know what it does.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Will.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECTION II TM9-2320-266-24P

FIGURE 39. TRANSMISSION CONTROLS.

Is a breakdown of the the transmission linkage . The cable is a kick down cable for downshifting when passing .

TM9-2320-266-24P.pdf

Edit; the cable should be loose and hook to the caburator likage

Potomac Valley Organics

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECTION II TM9-2320-266-24P

FIGURE 39. TRANSMISSION CONTROLS.

Is a breakdown of the the transmission linkage . The cable is a kick down cable for downshifting when passing .

TM9-2320-266-24P.pdf

Edit; the cable should be loose and hook to the caburator likage

Yeah the part I'm talking about seems to be where Parts No. 5 connect; i.e. the greyed out portion of the diagram. Any idea where that part is in the manual? I haven't been able to find it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know where the TM shows the cable . But the cable only makes the truck go from 3rd gear to 2nd under heavy accelleration , it does not affect park or reverse . Either your linkage is seriously out of adjustment or there is a internal problem .

Edit ; does the fluid smell burnt or look burnt ?

Last edited:

Potomac Valley Organics

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it might be internal. Since I don't know how to tell how that part is supposed to work, I cant tell if the linkage is out of adjustment. Trying to post a video I took of it but Photobucket is acting up.

N1265

The shift points look good to me. The 727 is a very reliable trans and the only time I have had any trouble with mine is when it was low on fluid.

Also, double check and make sure the transfer case is not in nutral. They have a habbit of kicking out of gear when the chain gets worn.

Potomac Valley Organics

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transfer case appears not to be in neutral. Shifted and shifted again to make sure. Truck not engaging; I seem to recall there being a magical formula re: getting transfer in gear (reversing truck for some many feet) but I dont know what it is.

Potomac Valley Organics

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this:

lf you leave the transfer in "N" for any length of
time, you may have trouble getting back into LO
or HI gear range. If this happens, shift the transmission
gear selector to "R" briefly and then shut
off the engine. Waiting IS seconds, put the transmission
gear selector into ••p", and try the transfer
control shift lever again. Repeat the procedure
untiJ it goes into gear.

N1265

On mine, sometimes I have to turn the engine off to get the transfer case to go into gear without grinding. If it still won't move, expecially in Hi LOC or LOW LOC, and you are sure the lever is moving at the transfer case , then the problem is beyond me.

Keep us posted

Potomac Valley Organics

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two rods that connect (by a pin) the transfer case shifter to the transfer case. The second rod (which is no visible unless you detached the first rod and move it) lost its pin. Truck (we call her Olive) is back to work again. Thanks all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks