• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shifting techniques of experienced Deuce Drivers

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha, you guys would have a cow wrestling a 5 & 4 twin stick crashbox. Well, some of us older guys maybe know what I'm talking about.

I've driven two Internationals (a 10-wheel tractor and a two axle dump) over the years.
Not a synchro in sight, and definitely a learning experience!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've stayed out of this fray until now. "Cattlerepairman" and "Crf450x" are correct. A good tight transmission should "never" be driven by "floating the gears" . That is of course if you want to keep a tight transmission. If your goal is to get a good and "sloopy" transmission than go ahead and "float"away !
Being a rebuilder of heavy truck transmissions, I can honestly say "floating the gears" is the worst thing you can do for the longevity of the transmission. Like others have mentioned, the synchros take up the slack until they get worn out. I could always tell when a "trucker" came in with a grinding transmission after just a few thousand miles of use that he had been playing "lets float the gears!" They always were bragging about their skill in shifting the transmission so "smoothly" .
Most all professional truckers use the clutch, especially if their split shifting. That is why all big transmissions have a "throw-out stop pad" built in. It's job it to help slow down the input shaft when the clutch is depressed to help in shifting.
I've never seen a professional racer "float gears". They "always" use the clutch. Why ? Because they know it will tear the crap out of their transmission, that's why.
I've only done this myself under duress. Like the time my Deuce in the Marines got a jammed-up clutch and would not release. I was twenty miles out in the desert with a platoon of explosive trainees. I was hot, tired and extremely hungry and in desperate need of a shower, so I was determined to make it back to base come Hell or High water. That is when you can "float your gears" .
Eaton /Fuller Doesnt seem to have any problems with drivers not using a clutch for all shifts 9/10 / 13 /15 /18 speed NON-SYNCED trans! They log usally over a million miles each before any major repairs . My dad put over a million miles on 2 of his trucks with ZERO transmission problems and the man floated just about every shift and class 8 trucks are non-synced transmissions ! Your talking about people shifting syncronised transmissions lighter duty trans is where all this confusion is coming from if the trans is sycronized use the clutch but if its non -synced dont BIG DIFFERENCE !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha, you guys would have a cow wrestling a 5 & 4 twin stick crashbox. Well, some of us older guys maybe know what I'm talking about.

I've driven two Internationals (a 10-wheel tractor and a two axle dump) over the years.
Not a synchro in sight, and definitely a learning experience!
BROWNIE BOXS !!!! Back in the day 70s 80s if you had enough motor to actually pull in the top gears you had a monster motor and the only time we could stretch em out was out west down on 10 i had a few friends with 5x4 s some running 1693s and some with kt 600s back when it was fun !

rustystud

Eaton /Fuller Doesnt seem to have any problems with drivers not using a clutch for all shifts 9/10 / 13 /15 /18 speed NON-SYNCED trans! They log usally over a million miles each before any major repairs . My dad put over a million miles on 2 of his trucks with ZERO transmission problems and the man floated just about every shift and class 8 trucks are non-synced transmissions ! Your talking about people shifting syncronised transmissions lighter duty trans is where all this confusion is coming from if the trans is sycronized use the clutch but if its non -synced dont BIG DIFFERENCE !
If you have ever rebuilt these transmissions like I have, you would notice they are "not" your normal transmission. They have "3" shafts in them that are "timed" together for a reason. This allows the smooth shifting they are known for.
But for all there upgrades the manufacturer still says you are to "Double Clutch" their transmission.
Don't believe me ? Than look at this video on "EATON's" wedsite. RT-18 manual transmission | 18-speed transmission| Eaton
So yes EATON does have a PROBLEM with drivers "floating gears" !

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a heavily laden deuce or on a start on a grade, I put the main transmission in second and drop the transfer to low. Next shift is transfer to high, then 3-4-5 in high. Works best for me.
Same here deuce or a 5-ton second low second high then run the other three out in high and no double clutching. Now the Fuller 10 speed I had in my GMC dump truck yes I could float the gears and take my time and match the RPM no problem. Now when I had 17 tons on and pulling a grade I would bump the clutch once to get it out and bump it once to get it in. The clutch pedal only went to the floor on a dead stop when I was putting it in first cuz I had a clutch break.

Last edited:

rustystud

Same here deuce or a 5-ton second low second high then run the other three out in high and no double clutching. Now the Fuller 10 speed I had in my GMC dump truck yes I could float the gears and take my time and match the RPM no problem. Now when I had 17 tons on and pulling a grade I would bump the clutch once to get it out and bump it once to get it in. The clutch pedal only went to the floor on a dead stop when I was putting it in first cuz I had a clutch break.
Evidently you never took EATON/Fuller's advice on how to use their transmissions.
No one said you needed to "double clutch" the Deuce transmission. Just use the clutch to shift.

Last edited by a moderator:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Evidently you never took EATON/Fuller's advice on how to use their transmissions.
No one said you needed to "double clutch" the Deuce transmission. Just use the clutch to shift.
Then why do we not see cronic problems in class 8 transmissions why do 95 % of all commercial drivers of class 8 trucks shift without the clutch once under way ? Why is there 80% more clutches being replaced without the transmissions being cracked open ? Why do truck manufactures still offer half a million mile drivetrain warranty on class 8 trucks knowing how the majority of the industry shifts its transmissions ? The trillions of miles that Fuller/Eaton has logged up on its transmissions were logged on them by drivers shifting without clutch once in motion ! I know there is and has been a huge loss in experienced drivers available so in your bizz i feel sure your seeing more abused drivetrain components than at any other time in history but for good old school drivers rarely had trans repairs if kept full of lubricant to factory specs ! I think what your seeing in shop settings are the results of no or little experienced drivers that have become the majority at all levels of the transportation industry so i dont see a time when your not going to be super busy repairing what TODAYS COMMERCIAL DRIVER is doing to their trans ! And the biggest uptick in drivetrain changes are the flood of automatic trans being ordered in new trucks because they cant find people that can shift a trans successfully ! It will be like the pick ups used to be hard to find a automatic to today you cant find a maunual trans in regular pick-ups and it will be the same for class 8 .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Then why do we not see cronic problems in class 8 transmissions why do 95 % of all commercial drivers of class 8 trucks shift without the clutch once under way ? Why is there 80% more clutches being replaced without the transmissions being cracked open ? Why do truck manufactures still offer half a million mile drivetrain warranty on class 8 trucks knowing how the majority of the industry shifts its transmissions ? The trillions of miles that Fuller/Eaton has logged up on its transmissions were logged on them by drivers shifting without clutch once in motion ! I know there is and has been a huge loss in experienced drivers available so in your bizz i feel sure your seeing more abused drivetrain components than at any other time in history but for good old school drivers rarely had trans repairs if kept full of lubricant to factory specs ! I think what your seeing in shop settings are the results of no or little experienced drivers that have become the majority at all levels of the transportation industry so i dont see a time when your not going to be super busy repairing what TODAYS COMMERCIAL DRIVER is doing to their trans ! And the biggest uptick in drivetrain changes are the flood of automatic trans being ordered in new trucks because they cant find people that can shift a trans successfully ! It will be like the pick ups used to be hard to find a automatic to today you cant find a maunual trans in regular pick-ups and it will be the same for class 8 .
Very sad but true.
School Buses started building automatics in about 81/82 for exactly that reason.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay I kind of see machines as people you got to kind of figure them out. What they like what they don't like. My GMC had a 6v92 silver and that Fuller 10. Heavy load going upgrades up shifting I would shift on the governor and I wanted to be quick because I don't want to lose too many RPM on the next gear. That's why I would use a quick bump to get it out of gear and a quick bump to get it in. Now returning back empty if I was in a hurry yeah it's Red line time. Then after I left the quarry working by the hour yeah it was take my time don't have to wind it out and just slipping one gear in the other without moving your left foot.

Last edited:

rustystud

Did you go to the website I posted ? This is "EATON's" site. The manufacturer of the transmission. They say use the clutch ! Go to the site, look at the video's posted and then come back here and tell me why I'm wrong to say "use the clutch" .
The "stories" or "MYTHS" about all the truckers floating gears is a LIE! Most truck drivers drive their riggs like there suppose to. Most over the road truckers who own their own rigg want it to last as long as possible. They use the clutch like it is supposed to be used.
Did you work in the trucking industry ? I'm asking because I'm wondering where you got this false information from. Not from real life over-the-road truckers.
About automatic transmissions becoming dominant in the industry. They are more dependable, less breakage, and far cheaper to repair than manual transmissions. Also the learning curve to drive one is days not months compared to manual truck transmissions.
When I still rebuilt them (before retiring) . The cost to rebuild a manual was three to four times the amount compared to an automatic. Think about it. The average items replaced in an automatic transmission are the clutch plates, a few bushings and seals, and maybe a few torrington bearings.
Total cost for parts about $400.00 .
Compare that to a manual transmission. First off you always replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel. Then all the bearings need replacing since any failure involves metal floating around the gearbox. Then you replace the failed parts which are usually gears which cost lots of money to make. If you need to replace synchro's (which is very normal) the cost really starts to climb.
I never had a manual transmission cost under $1000.00 to repair.
Most heavy truck transmissions cost in the range of $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 to repair. That's average.
I didn't even mention the cost of drivetrain components like driveshafts and differentials.
Manual transmissions always put extra strain on these items due to the "shock" load.
You don't have this issue with automatics.
Now you see why the industry is going to automatics. Always follow the money.

Before I go I need to ask one more thing. Where did you get these statistics from ?
You say 80% this and 95% that. Where did you get this information ? Or did you just make it up.
Around here we don't play with "make believe" . We use real hard facts. So if your quoting someone or some fact, post the source. Don't just pull numbers from your imagination.
That is why I actually posted the Manufacturers video here. I didn't just make it up. I didn't ask you to just believe my word for it, even though I spent over 40 years in the industry.
Just like my High School journalism teacher used to say, "post your source" .

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Okay I kind of see machines as people you got to kind of figure them out. What they like what they don't like. My GMC had a 6v92 silver and that Fuller 10. Heavy load going upgrades up shifting I would shift on the governor and I wanted to be quick because I don't want to lose too many RPM on the next lower gear. That's why I would use a quick bump to get it out of gear and a quick bump to get it in. Now returning back empty if I was in a hurry yeah it's Red line time. Then after I left the quarry working by the hour yeah it was take my time don't have to wind it out and just slipping one gear in the other without moving your left foot.
Absolutely @Floridianson !

Trucks really are a lot like people. They all have personalities.
The person and the machine work together - some better than others...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you go to the website I posted ? This is "EATON's" site. The manufacturer of the transmission. They say use the clutch ! Go to the site, look at the video's posted and then come back here and tell me why I'm wrong to say "use the clutch" .
The "stories" or "MYTHS" about all the truckers floating gears is a LIE! Most truck drivers drive their riggs like there suppose to. Most over the road truckers who own their own rigg want it to last as long as possible. They use the clutch like it is supposed to be used.
Did you work in the trucking industry ? I'm asking because I'm wondering where you got this false information from. Not from real life over-the-road truckers.
About automatic transmissions becoming dominant in the industry. They are more dependable, less breakage, and far cheaper to repair than manual transmissions. Also the learning curve to drive one is days not months compared to manual truck transmissions.
When I still rebuilt them (before retiring) . The cost to rebuild a manual was three to four times the amount compared to an automatic. Think about it. The average items replaced in an automatic transmission are the clutch plates, a few bushings and seals, and maybe a few torrington bearings.
Total cost for parts about $400.00 .
Compare that to a manual transmission. First off you always replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel. Then all the bearings need replacing since any failure involves metal floating around the gearbox. Then you replace the failed parts which are usually gears which cost lots of money to make. If you need to replace synchro's (which is very normal) the cost really starts to climb.
I never had a manual transmission cost under $1000.00 to repair.
Most heavy truck transmissions cost in the range of $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 to repair. That's average.
I didn't even mention the cost of drivetrain components like driveshafts and differentials.
Manual transmissions always put extra strain on these items due to the "shock" load.
You don't have this issue with automatics.
Now you see why the industry is going to automatics. Always follow the money.
You must have never spent more than 10 minutes in a over the road truck by your statements are all B.S. ! Just to keep it civil just poll all the commercial drivers of class 8 trucks on this website no one uses a clutch once under way in class 8 trucks if they have been driving more than 2 days ! And again i dont know what planet your repairing transmissions saying that automatics are cheaper to repair when i came off the road in 17 we were giving anywhere between 23 to 28 thousand depending on the shop for rebuilt allison world automatic transmissions and have been that way since the 90s ! Ive been in a commercial truck since 1973 as a kid every summer all summer till i turned 20 and went full time cross country a year before i was legal ! My dad owned every truck we had and every dollar for repairs came out of his pocket with no transmission repairs or builds and everyone in those circles were all owner operator and i drove for owner operators till 88 then went into busses for the next 30 years so just to add up have i ever been on the road almost 50 yrs and the 30 in busses were surrounded by 10 to 25 trucks with us every day so i never got away from trucks since i was 5 ive lived and breathed trucks busses and heavy equipment my entire life never had a job that wasnt on the road for the most part and everything your saying is ass opposite of what ive personaly watched every stinking day for almost 50 yrs! Everything you have said elludes back to small to medium transmissions from how they work to the cost your quoting like your talking about repairing a ford 550 or 700 med duty transmission and sure not a class 8 ive got some where between 2.5 to 3 million miles and ive NEVER lost a trans to this day in a commercial vehicle and im a dime a dozen in driver world no better no worse common as house flies ! So i will just end this whole debate by we must have been in 2 opposite ends of the planet and we will just agree to disagree ! Now it sounds like the both of us are retired and stuff is changing every day and in just a few more years nothing we knew will be the norm and we will be full of useless knowledge that no one needs unless theyre in a scrapyard ! or museum lol

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is why all big transmissions have a "clutch brake" which acts like a input shaft brake, built in. It's job is to help slow down the input shaft when the clutch is depressed to help with shifting.
Rusty myself I have found their steering wheel holders and their are drivers.
The clutch break is only used when you're stopped and going into first gear or reverse. You can wear out and or ruin a clutch break by using it for regular shifting through all the gears. Also double clutching or pushing in the clutch doesn't guarantee you won't grind gears if you're a steering wheel holder.

Last edited:

INFChief

I guess only if the clutch is broke? :D

The way you described it read like how everyone should stop a vehicle with a manual transmission, or at least how I do it:

1. Downshift to appropriate gear when anticipating stop to engine brake - use service brakes as needed
  2. When approaching engine idle speed, press in clutch and use service brakes the rest of the way to a stop

Having written it that way, I don't technically leave it in gear all the way to a stop. In my old Wrangler, I'd downshift to 3rd to engine brake, then press the clutch in when I get around the engine's idle speed. By that point I can stop safely with service brakes. In my dad's M37 or halftrack, I'd downshift to 3rd as well and do the same thing. Even with my M35A3 or my wife's 1-ton Savana I put the automatic in 3rd to engine brake.

I think it helps with these vehicles being geared as they are that they can engine brake pretty easily without having to downshift far. Though the 1-ton Savana's 4L80-E can be flipped to 2nd around 40 MPH for more engine braking power.
I sometimes leave it in gear - especially if I expect the light to change to green; leaving it gear allows me to get going faster & avoid the po-po.

rustystud

You must have never spent more than 10 minutes in a over the road truck by your statements are all B.S. ! Just to keep it civil just poll all the commercial drivers of class 8 trucks on this website no one uses a clutch once under way in class 8 trucks if they have been driving more than 2 days ! And again i dont know what planet your repairing transmissions saying that automatics are cheaper to repair when i came off the road in 17 we were giving anywhere between 23 to 28 thousand depending on the shop for rebuilt allison world automatic transmissions and have been that way since the 90s ! Ive been in a commercial truck since 1973 as a kid every summer all summer till i turned 20 and went full time cross country a year before i was legal ! My dad owned every truck we had and every dollar for repairs came out of his pocket with no transmission repairs or builds and everyone in those circles were all owner operator and i drove for owner operators till 88 then went into busses for the next 30 years so just to add up have i ever been on the road almost 50 yrs and the 30 in busses were surrounded by 10 to 25 trucks with us every day so i never got away from trucks since i was 5 ive lived and breathed trucks busses and heavy equipment my entire life never had a job that wasnt on the road for the most part and everything your saying is ass opposite of what ive personaly watched every stinking day for almost 50 yrs! Everything you have said elludes back to small to medium transmissions from how they work to the cost your quoting like your talking about repairing a ford 550 or 700 med duty transmission and sure not a class 8 ive got some where between 2.5 to 3 million miles and ive NEVER lost a trans to this day in a commercial vehicle and im a dime a dozen in driver world no better no worse common as house flies ! So i will just end this whole debate by we must have been in 2 opposite ends of the planet and we will just agree to disagree ! Now it sounds like the both of us are retired and stuff is changing every day and in just a few more years nothing we knew will be the norm and we will be full of useless knowledge that no one needs unless theyre in a scrapyard ! or museum lol
So your saying you were a "professional" truck driver , right ?
Well I worked at IHC in Tukwilla WA. Then after they went bankrupt at other truck shops until working at the transit department. I'm an "ASE Certified Master Mechanic' or was until I retired.
I was also a Sargeant in the U.S. Marine Corp. I was trained at Fort Knox on Tanks, than later on the Deuce and 5 ton trucks. Never was I taught to "float the gears" .
I spent a lot of time test driving trucks, I never said I was a professional though. I do know what drivers
have told me and I do know what the manufacturer says to do .

You "never" mentioned going to the EATON website. Afraid of what you'll see ?

You spent time with your father, that's great. But your father was not operating the truck properly if he never used the clutch. You cannot blame him though as they didn't have the schools back then. So you learned to drive from your father then. You didn't go to a Commercial driving school. If you had, then you would have learned to drive correctly. Sorry but that's just the truth.
As far as the costs I quoted that was for "parts" not total costs. I'm also aware costs have gone up greatly since I left the industry.
I was factory trained at "Allison" on the AT500, MT600 and HT700 transmissions. Then later on the "New World" series of transmissions.
I have also rebuilt "RoadRanger" transmissions, have you ?
It took on average three days to rebuild one. I can rebuild an "Allison" in a day.
All your ranting about "I don't know what I'm talking about" is really useless chatter. Unless you provide proof of your "opinion" it means nothing.
I've provided proof .
Now you provide some proof or quite wasting my time.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those that have never seen or heard of a clutch brake and how it works and when you can and cannot use it if you want it to last.
Watch till the very end if you want the truth about the clutch brake use. Lot of good information on Google and YouTube videos but that's not where you learn how to drive a truck. I will not take advice from a steering wheel holder on how to drive a truck.
What Is A Clutch Brake? - Truckers Logic

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May I suggest that we get back on topic here?
The question asked by the OP was a very good one. He is seeking advice and he received some very good one.
The CONSENSUS is that the Deuce transmission is a standard synchronized transmission and should be driven as such, clutch for every gear change.

The OTHER DISCUSSION is a bit off-topic. We discuss "Unsynchronized transmissions and the proper way of shifting them."
This is almost a religious war and WE HERE are not going to make any headway on that topic.
@rustystud is correct in that EATON/Fuller are clearly stating to use the clutch.
CDL driving schools, here where I am at least, teach double clutching and this is the only way driver candidates are permitted to change gears. For added clarity, during the driving portion of the road test, if the examiner sees you float gears you will receive one warning, the second time is a fail. Make of that what you will.

A very large body of professional drivers (or people that think they are professional drivers) keep insisting that floating gears is better. They tell each other that, share this opinion with other, newer drivers and it becomes....religion. Something passed on from the old and wise to the young and stupid. Young drivers come from the course with the double clutching skills and are being told "nah, this is how rookies shift; don't do that".
Those that make trannys do not know any better, Uncle Jake got 4 Million miles out of the clutch 'cause he never used it, if you keep double clutching you'll walk in circles because your left leg will be huge, a real driver does not use the clutch other than for stopping and for getting going, and so on and so forth.

Mechanics repair whatever is broken.
Trucks run millions of miles without puking their transmissions, clutch or no clutch.

Again - WE are not getting to the truth here in this discussion.
If it is your truck, do what you want.
If it is not your truck, do what the owner tells you to do.

Have a great week, everybody! I get to drive a 318 Detroit cabover a couple thousand miles over the weekend!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks