• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ship by rail/train? (AZ to FL)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Railing a one time move can get pricey....

Biggest issue is the cars they would use, are wide open. Vandalism would be a sure thing when it sits in the back corner of a railyard at night.

I've often thought of adding an old auto carrier to my 'collection' to make moves like this.

The costs would be slightly lower than your quote, but not enough to offset the convenience and speed of the truck shipping, as much as my railman's heart hurts to say that. Railroads are perfect for large quantities moving long distance. Not so much for one offs.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Railing a one time move can get pricey....

Biggest issue is the cars they would use, are wide open. Vandalism would be a sure thing when it sits in the back corner of a railyard at night.

I've often thought of adding an old auto carrier to my 'collection' to make moves like this.

The costs would be slightly lower than your quote, but not enough to offset the convenience and speed of the truck shipping, as much as my railman's heart hurts to say that. Railroads are perfect for large quantities moving long distance. Not so much for one offs.
Wow Ferroequinologist,

Somehow I knew the answer was as you stated. Guess when the Army or the Marines ship 40 or 60 flatbed rail cars allow for a better deal. Especially when there are 4 vehicles or more per rail car. Guess those cars don't get parked on a railyard unsupervised at night either. Especially where there were tanks or a howitzer or a bunch of them. Not to mention support vehicles to haul men and material.

I always "slobber and drool" when one of those trains pass.
Always hoping to see something "fall off the train" and jump into my driveway :cool: (with a valid title in my name).

Tim

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which LMTV? 1079s have to go by themselves on double drop deck trailers which bring the price you were quoted. 1078's can go on single drop deck trailers and can have other cargo onboard to cut the rate in half.

XCRV

It’s a 2000 M1079A1 (link below). I know height is an issue. We’ve added solar panels to the roof. Haven’t tested the suspension lowering feature. I didn’t know a gooseneck was that much more expensive.

We built out the box for overlanding but we’re pretty close to stock weight. We removed the heavy metal strips on the floor and walls that would have been used to carry cargo or mount equipment. Also removed the huge bars used to lift the van by crane. After this weight loss program, we had each wheel weighed during build but I’d have to find those numbers.

Thanks for you input, everyone.

XCRV

wheelspinner— Runs great, has never let us down. Our potential buyer had said he wouldn’t want anyone but us to drive it to him. 2100 mile delivery plus 2100 mile return trip is a LOT of driving. (Our LMTV has a civilian hitch to tow a car for the return.) Anyway, looks like this Florida deal isn’t going to work right now.

Might need this info for the next potential buyer. Good topic for other MV owners who need shipping. Thanks again guys!

XCRV

In 2017, we flew from Nashville to Fairbanks to pick up this LMTV. We stayed in Alaska a few months then put the truck on a cargo ship to Tacoma. That was only about $2300 (TOTE Maritime Alaska).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Fuel has jumped $1.40 in the past 38 days.

$3.17 a mile for a rgn isn't a bad price. Unfortunately there isn't much freight coming thru the Jacksonville docks as far as heavy equipment so they have to factor in a dead head.

Plus 3% of that final cost has a broker fee in it for their take. Sometimes more

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I shipped a FLU419 last year and used United States of Freight. They were fantastic and their price undercut everyone else I contacted. Even showed up early.

DARKOP

It’s a 2000 M1079A1 (link below). I know height is an issue. We’ve added solar panels to the roof. Haven’t tested the suspension lowering feature. I didn’t know a gooseneck was that much more expensive.

We built out the box for overlanding but we’re pretty close to stock weight. We removed the heavy metal strips on the floor and walls that would have been used to carry cargo or mount equipment. Also removed the huge bars used to lift the van by crane. After this weight loss program, we had each wheel weighed during build but I’d have to find those numbers.

Thanks for you input, everyone.

XCRV, did your M1079 sell? the link above didn't work. Do you have info on the vehicle posted somewhere I can look at? I'm in Alaska but looking for a M1079.

XCRV

Yes, the sale was finalized last week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks