• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shiping Container

daddy2

Thanks for all the replys. I thought about a 280 shed. I had to google teh 280 to figure out what it was. I have
two of them. Dad always refered to them as radio sheds. He seen them used in Vietnam. The problem with them is the size. can't fit a family of four in one of them. Once I get the box, I will take photos of the fabrication. Trying to expl;ain what I intend to do is often hard for me. Better with photos. I did check out the craigs list address. I will try calling them this weekend. Thanks again to all.

Attachments

tm america

I get what you are trying to do .. i think the height will be the biggest issues you will run into..The box will need to be mounted straight to the frame but this will make the tires hit the box at flex.. You will probably need to cut wheel wells into the box.Unless you are getting the box really cheap you would probably be better off getting a box off of a u hual truck .

3dAngus

Thanks for all the replys. I thought about a 280 shed. I had to google teh 280 to figure out what it was. I have
two of them. Dad always refered to them as radio sheds. He seen them used in Vietnam. The problem with them is the size. can't fit a family of four in one of them. Once I get the box, I will take photos of the fabrication. Trying to expl;ain what I intend to do is often hard for me. Better with photos. I did check out the craigs list address. I will try calling them this weekend. Thanks again to all.
I spent a year in one in Vietnam. You couldn't get me to sleep in one if you held a gun to my head. I can understand others wanting to though and support it. I just think for the money, one could do a heck of a lot better for building a recreational home, and a lot bigger one too.

I have seen some very nice ones fixed up here on SS. Just depends on what you want.

oldMan99

I'm with TM AMERICA on this one, 7'6" is way to tall.

http://www.oceancarrier.com/Container%20sizes.pdf
7'6"? That is the height of the door opening on the standard container. The height of the door opening is not really relevant. The page posted in this particular link does not show the number that is relevant, that being the overall outside height.

The quote below is from my post back on page 2 and reflects the overall outside height:

Also, keep in mind your overall height on the truck. ISO containers come in 3 basic heights. 8' (Rare, hard to find), 8'6" (The most common) and 9'6" (Almost as common as the standard 8'6". In some places it is in fact more common).

In order to stay legal (In most states/jurisdictions) your going to have to stay under 13'6" total from the ground to the tallest part of the vehicle. Even at 13'6" you will still have to CAREFULLY watch bridges, overhangs, wires and so forth, especially once you get off the interstate and are on surface roads.
Also from that same post is a link to a page that gives you the relevant overall outside dimensions that you will need to consider when attempting to fit one of these units onto another vehicle. Repeated here for convenience: Steel Storage Containers for Sale Direct from the Container Depot at Port Newark

You may very likely need to have some sort of material between the frame and the box because I am guessing that the frame rails will not line up exactly with the frame of the container. The thickness (Height) of that material will of course need to be added to the overall height.

Also, keep in mind that the more frontal area you present to the wind the worse your mileage is going to be, and the taller you make it the more top heavy it is going to be.

Good luck on your project! When you get it done be sure to post some pictures!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks