• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shipping 5 ton

m31426

I was looking into gl and my biggest worry is shipping that monster
anybody have any shipping prices they have got from your purchase and how many miles did you ship it
thanks

Mine was a CUCV and it turned out that the cheapest shipping quote ended up being cheaper than what it cost me to go get mine. O well it was a fun trip. Shipping is going to depend on how far the beast is going, if it runs, etc. make sure the shipper can get to the location for extraction. You might be able to arrange something with the SS express. Make your plans before you win so your not scrambling after the auction closes and your on "the clock"

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Shipping can be tough especially since the truck may or may not start when your shipper does arrive to pick it up. Some locations will help get it going others you are on your own.

ichudov

I shipped four 5 ton trucks using our semi truck with a lowboy trailer and winch. My best estimate what it cost me (labor, fuel and wear on the truck) is $700 for Sparta to Chicago and $600 for Indianapolis to Chicago.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I recommend Landstar. They have always done me right. Their prices are right in line with other shippers and if they tell you a truck will be there you can take it to the bank. Several of their drivers are pros at moving MV's. You can PM me for contact info for the dispatcher I use.

ichudov

That's a good price, but you own the truck right?
Yes. It is my cost. I own the truck. I would never provide this as a service at cost. I would have to charge $1300 for Sparta to Chicago and 1300 for Indianapolis to Chicago. A delivery like this would be done in to days. Day one, go there, pick up load, drop in my yard. Day two, deliver from my yard to customer. I am not even saying that I will do that, or soliciting customers, just running some costs in my mind.

Rifleman

I shipped my M925 750 miles and it cost me a little less then 1600 bucks. One thing i will tell you that will also make a difference on the cost is if the trucking company can pick up a back load from where they drop off your truck. Another problem i ran into was with one of the G/L sites i was looking to buy from, it was miles out in the middle of nowhere, now even though that site was 300 miles closer to me then the site i bought my truck from the shipping cost was more for the trucking company to drive way out there to get it since they couldn't book any loads to be delivered there when they were driving there to pick up my truck.

Do as some of the other members have said use Uship to get an idea on the cost, and when you get bids ask the shipper lots of questions. Most important is if they have ever picked up from a G/L auction site before, the reason i bring that up is most shipping company's like a big window of time to be able to just show up, to pick up the load, and with most G/L sites having a Tuesday to Thursday 8AM to 2PM pickup time this can cause a BIG PROBLEM with your shipper not being able to get on base. Another thing you want to point out to the shipper is they need to make an appointment to even be able to get onto base. I ran into a few shipping company's that didn't even want to deal with this so it's best you find this out before you buy your truck and sign up with a trucking company only to find out that they don't want to deal with all these restrictions. Then your stuck trying to find someone real quick to pick up your truck before the end of your 10 days that G/L is willing to hold your truck for after the auction closes.

Last edited:

ctoathkeeper

I have used Flynns trucking out of NJ . they go to GL all the time. they have a slave jumper also if your truck needs it. my truck was in new castle DE. and they towed it up to CT with no probs. PM me for any numbers.

2mtrucks

You may want to try to find one closer to home. I did my GL home work and decided that it was not possible for me to buy at GL. Most notably this was because I don't have a CDL. Even though I don't earn my primary living as a farmer, I live on a farm, and I am taxed, paid and insured as a farm. That entitles me to plate my truck to its full GVW of 33k as a farm truck with no CDL required in Indiana. But from what I understand I still cant pick a truck up at a GL site without a CDL. And I do not own recovery equipment large enough to go get it. I was able to find a super nice A1 with a 2010 rebuild in new condition on Craigslist. Some people would laugh if they knew what I paid but I got to test drive it first, got a title, got it insured and had no drama or problems. Then I drove it home 20 miles. I see some great buys on GL but my job and lack of large recovery equipment eliminates that option. I saw several on Craigslist that were considerably cheaper than mine but not as nice...depends on what you are going to do with it. Also saw several on this site in classifieds but they were far, far away unfortunately. Anyway...check locally. There are a lot for sale out there.