• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shipping from the islands

oldMan99

Shipping a truck from Saint Thomas and or Saint Croix:

Has anybody done this?

My main question at this time is any idea at all how much it cost?

I did look at the GL suggested shipping page and they have nothing for these locations. So the next questions is who do you contact to have this done / get a shipping quote?

Thanks...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No offense, but is it some uber rare piece or something that shows up stateside? If it's common, I'd just hold out until you can find one that can be driven or towed home.

Jimma

I would not buy anything down there unless it was something like a mint PT boat or maybe a perfect half track . (all of which GL does not currenly sell) I would just keep looking closer to home.

oldMan99

No offense, but is it some uber rare piece or something that shows up stateside? If it's common, I'd just hold out until you can find one that can be driven or towed home.
No offense taken, valid question. However, in this instance, I am going to hold my response to this question for ... um... now.

gunboy1656

Win a truck at auction from there you will probably triple your cost just for shipping it to the states. And that is for a running truck. A ro/ro (roll on/roll off) might be a few bucks cheaper but not by much.

There is a thread about a guy bringing a truck back from Hawaii, look it up.

oldMan99

Bkubu and Jwhering have shipped trucks from Hawaii.
Great info!

I just called JWhering. He did in fact import a truck from Hawaii. He said by the time it was all over he had decided that even if they are giving the truck away he is not ever interested in doing that again. Way to much hassle and the cost was .... well let just say very high.

In his opinion the level of problems and cost from the Virgin Islands would likely be every bit as much and very likely even more than what he encountered from Hawaii.

Combine all of that with the high cost of fuel and the impact that has had on shipping in general and the basic advise is:

RUN FORREST RUN......!!!

So, that just about answers all the questions I had on this subject...

Thanks to all who responded!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems something siting on a island in the middle of the ocean would have rust issues
You have no idea. My M756A2 came from Puerto Rico. It had rust under the rust, rust on top of the rust and rust between the rust. Even the tires had rust. The lip of the frame had flaked away enough that it was a sharp edge like a serrated knife. I had to needle scale it just to cut it with the gas hatchet. Only thing i like from the islands is fruit and my wife.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have no idea. My M756A2 came from Puerto Rico. It had rust under the rust, rust on top of the rust and rust between the rust. Even the tires had rust. The lip of the frame had flaked away enough that it was a sharp edge like a serrated knife. I had to needle scale it just to cut it with the gas hatchet. Only thing i like from the islands is fruit and my wife.
Yeah i got a good idea of the rust problems . Here in michigan we got alot of dealers pushing rust free florida cars. And cars rust from the bottom up in michigan , most people don't realize florida cars ( especially from around the coast ) rust out from the top down . A quick repaint to the roof and solid wheel wells and rockers people think they got a deal .

Last edited:

brianrbull

I cannot see any advantage in getting stuff from there unless it is Uber Rare.... Shipping will KILL your Budget.... and the Corrosion will already have killed your new toy.... Just my 2c

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only reason to bid that far away is because a truck is not available stateside. I bought an M932 in HI when they were not available in the continental U.S. The cost will shock you. There are no savings. I had over $11K in that truck by the time I got it home...and that was 11 years ago! I guarantee that the prices have gone up. This is a dead end...and Justin (WEHRING) did it more recently and agreed. Save up and bid closer to home.

Atomic

Had a buddy who was stationed in the VI and he got short toured at his request. I did want to be stationed there but after listening to his stories......

From Guam it was $2900 for a vehicle under 8,500lbs and it had to fit in a 40' connex. I know they have barge tows from Miami to the VI almost weekly but for a vehicle that size it will be stored on deck and without protection. If you had the money you could most likley get a bunch of them on deck for a reduced rate but again as it has been stated you would pay through the nose. :?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks