• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ship's engineer M54A1 crash-course.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As was stated before in a lot of the cases concerning Volunteer fire dept. trucks it has been my experience that when they decided that it was to old to be used anymore lots were just parked back behind the firehall and left until the city council decided that it had to go! Be as prepared as you can be for anything, the main potential problem areas I have seen are fuel system including fuel lines, filters and injectors, then comes tires, then comes lubrication, or in this case complete lack of! Make sure your backup plans are solid as you stand realistically a 50/50 chance on making your trip without any show stopping occurrences! I hope all goes exactly as you plan and wish you the best of luck!!
Karl

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck and God's speed...... glad ya got some serious support for the trip.....ENJOY the ride, most people NEVER make this type of adventure. Life is for Living,,,,,,take a TON of photos and keep us informed.....

Waterkraft7

uploadfromtaptalk1455906710806.jpgthis is what we've got so far. Been through a tube of grease and checked all fluids. Seems to be solid. Going to let the batteries charge and see how she cranks.

Waterkraft7

I'm on the road. Everything is good, except it keeps popping out of 5th gear. Not even when I'm going up a hill. Just does it. Sometimes I have to engage it in 4th to get it to take 5th again. Any suggestions from the M54a1 ninja masters?

AMGeneral

I'm on the road. Everything is good, except it keeps popping out of 5th gear. Not even when I'm going up a hill. Just does it. Sometimes I have to engage it in 4th to get it to take 5th again. Any suggestions from the M54a1 ninja masters?
Definetly a ENDT 673 Mack,I cannot tell from the pictures if it is an early or late production engine though.

If it is slipping out of 5th gear,could be worn synchros,worn gears,or worn shift forks,or combination of the 3.

Waterkraft7

How far did you get yesterday?
Made it to my dad's house in portland. After keeping it running all day, it took ten minutes to figure out how to shut her down. Today I'm Changing some more fuel filters and making the last 100 mile leg. Come by for a beer if you'd like. 207-807-3687

Waterkraft7

Definetly a ENDT 673 Mack,I cannot tell from the pictures if it is an early or late production engine though.

If it is slipping out of 5th gear,could be worn synchros,worn gears,or worn shift forks,or combination of the 3.
It wasn't slipping, just fuel starved after bouncing that old tank atound. Just changed the primary on the road side, and was rolling in no time.

Waterkraft7

I'm two hours from bangor if you need help and I work for a rigging company if it needs to be hauled back on a trailer. Good luck
I appreciate the line. Luckily I'm a glutton for the punishment and have been fairing well. The gesture is not forgotten though. If you ever need a hand around concord NH, I'll do what I can if I'm on land.

Waterkraft7

Bringing the truck home is the easy part. My 2cents is that you implement as many 'damage control' procedures as you can prior to departing on your trip to pick up the truck. You'll need at least 1 dozen long stemmed red roses (they scream "I'm Sorry"), a card that says "I'm Sorry", a gift card to her favorite store, dinner at her favorite restaurant, a pedicure/manicure, time away from the kid(s) if applicable, etc.
There is no quick victory option with this one. I'll need to be a consistent kitchen cleaner/laundryfolder/back rubber for the long haul. She's dug in, so siege tactics.

Katahdin

Made it to my dad's house in portland. After keeping it running all day, it took ten minutes to figure out how to shut her down. Today I'm Changing some more fuel filters and making the last 100 mile leg. Come by for a beer if you'd like. 207-807-3687
Good Deal! I'm taking Mrs. Katahdin out to brunch to Cape Elizabeth at the moment, if you're still in town later this afternoon I'll try to meet up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks