• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shock Removal

JohnFire

ok course I know this sounds like a silly question. What is the best way to remove 22yr old shocks from a M1009. The front I have no issues getting to. but the back they have the nut inside the frame rail near the fuel tank and it isn't like there are bolt heads to get on the other side. I looked in the TM and of course they say remove nut, well duh really. I have been looking at just cutting it off.

the worse thing is I helped with a 77 k5 about 15 years ago, but neither my dad or myself remember how other than we had to cut through the bottom of one of the shocks cause it was frozen in place.

Rattlehead

Can't visualize the back shock mounting on this truck, but just for reference on front shocks of various vehicles, here's what I have done when they are rusted and stubborn:

If the top shock bolt can be accessed from directly above, place an impact socket and long breaker bar on the shock, with the breaker bar sticking straight up along the axis of the shock. Rock the bar back and forth (not in the direction of the swivel head), keeping the socket fully engaged. It will snap off the shock end just under the nut, shock falls out.

I have also done this with vans or other vehicles with no direct vertical access to the shock, by taking a cheapo breaker bar and welding the swivel head to a 90 degree position. Now you can install it to the top of the shock from the wheel well and work it up and down till it breaks. The breaker bar is still useable for other purposes, as you normally have the socket at a 90 anyway.

Radioshop

Try a liberal soaking with liquid wrench first. You'd be surprised how well that stuff works. If you can't find that, get some P.B. Blaster (available at NAPA). I can't say enough for impact guns in this particular case either.

JohnFire

I went with the pro comp set that was on sale on 4wheel parts for $150 for 4 shocks and 1 stabilizer. Maybe I am looking at these from the wrong angle, but to get to the nut which is on the inside top above of the frame rail where the fuel tank sits. So clearance and the ability to reach it with a breaker bar. That is where I might go with Bozor1000 idea cause that is what I had come up with too. Just have to get new mounting bolts. The front are not a problem as they are side mounted and if I take the tire off I should be able to get an impact on them. I was just hoping to be able to get it off with a bit of ease. But I guess I should remember that the bolts are also 22yrs old.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks